Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

New Power BI Desktop interface keeps freezing - HELP

Hello, since the new ribbon interface was rolled out, my Power BI Desktop Pro is completely unresponsive and keeps freezing. I cannot minimise, maximise, or move the window at all. The ribbon is completely unresponsive. Occassionally, it will randomly unfreeze, only to re-freeze. This is affecting all my reports. I cannot get any work done. This is an issue with PowerBI and not my system, I have the latest Core i7 with 32Gb of system memory on Windows 10. All my other apps are fine. It was working fine before the new interface was rolled out. Any help would be appreciated, particularly on how I can roll this back to the previous version.

Comments
vpatel55
Kudo Commander

@jbartonRFR the best thing that I can suggest is to roll back to the February 2020 release. That completely solved the issue for me. There are links further up in this thread. 

chross
Advocate III

Hi all....  We heard from our support person that the product team identifies there is a bug (umm seriously, we already knew that lol).  And that by Monday, March 30th there should be a fix.  Let's see if by Monday when we download the latest version if this is true or not.

mhardy
Advocate I

Yes, this has been very problamatic.  Freezes up constantly.

Thankfully you can still disable the new ribbon.  If you go into Options, it's still listed under Preview features so you can disable it.

I disabled today, and haven't seen any freezes since.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that selecting the "Cascade Windows" option on the windows taskbar "unfroze" the query editor.  

In my situtation, the 'applied step' window appears to arbitrarily hide behind the 'query editor' application window.  The editor window simulatenously locks, giving the impression that PBI is frozen.  Cascading the windows brings the 'applied step' window to the forground.

Hope this helps.    

shruti_nokia
Regular Visitor

having same issue... really annoyed. have to use tak manager to kill app about 100 times to just perform a single function. latest update is really not up to the mark.

NVR_01BR

AN INTERNAL ERROR PREVENTED THE SCHEME FROM LOADING. HOW TO SOLVE? I tried to perform the repair and the problem continued. I don't have the pro version. I have Desktop. Now in other new files when I try to import a file in excel appears the message "The name of objects cannot be empty". I tried with several and i couldn't. My version is from October 2019. Screenshot_ERRO1.jpgScreenshot_ERRO2.jpg

vpatel55
Kudo Commander

Hello @NVR_01BR your issue is on a very different matter to what this thread is for. As a result, few people will notice your question. I would recommend that you post a brand new question to the support community. People will then notice, and help if they can.

Click here and select "New Message":

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/bd-p/power-bi-designer

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found an easy interim solution. Just put your computer to sleep and wake it up. It should unfreeze Power BI. It works for me every time.

AlexGorev
Power BI Team

Power BI Engineering team was investigating this issue for some time and it was pretty tricky to reproduce and fix. The good news is that we just released the update to the March release of the PBI Desktop (v. 2.79.5768.1082) that has a fix for the UI freezing. This update is available fom Windows Store and Download Center now.

Sorry for all the trouble this issue caused!

Alex Gorev,

PBI Desktop Team

vpatel55
Kudo Commander

@AlexGorev , thank you!!