Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New Power BI Desktop interface keeps freezing - HELP

Hello, since the new ribbon interface was rolled out, my Power BI Desktop Pro is completely unresponsive and keeps freezing. I cannot minimise, maximise, or move the window at all. The ribbon is completely unresponsive. Occassionally, it will randomly unfreeze, only to re-freeze. This is affecting all my reports. I cannot get any work done. This is an issue with PowerBI and not my system, I have the latest Core i7 with 32Gb of system memory on Windows 10. All my other apps are fine. It was working fine before the new interface was rolled out. Any help would be appreciated, particularly on how I can roll this back to the previous version.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the same issue..... very very frustrating. I have lost hours of work due to this.

zelroberic
Frequent Visitor

Hi Dave,

Have you gone into Options and unclicked the Preview Feature Update Ribbon. I found that solved my problem as I went back to the old ribbon.

Rob

chross
Advocate III

@zelroberic Hi Rob.. Yeah we also unselected the ribbon in preview.  It's still not a foolproof solution because I still crash from time to time. But, nowhere near as much as when I had the ribbon enabled. Microsoft really needs to roll a fix out sooner rather than later!!

alwweb
Advocate II

Just some additional notes if it helps the developers ...

I'm running the 64 bit on Windows 10.  My laptop has a quad core processor and 64GB of RAM and my pbix file is only 7MB.  

The alt-tab solution works sometimes, but not always.  I have had to kill it with Task Manager.  It seems to happen more often if I click in the title bar to bring the focus back to Power Bi rather than when I click somewhere on the canvas. 

It usually seems to happen when I am working on something else and go back to PBI, although not always. 

If possible, please fix it before the next official release.  It is really annoying and don't want to go through the hassle of going back a revision. 

Someone on another thread posted 90-100% processor utilization by Power BI Desktop when they had the lockup, but my locked PBI is using 0% of the processor and close to 1GB of memory.

ArjanFraaij
Frequent Visitor

Same here,

Power BI march release also seems to close without warning. When restarting it has recoverable files but this is enoying and not a very good version to attract new Power BI users..

Happend a few times now.

-------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: PBIDesktop.exe, version: 2.79.5768.721, time stamp: 0x5e6b1104
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x4361b720
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006db8e
Faulting process id: 0x5d9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d600910085a823
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: c371f26a-73b8-438f-b21b-d5d32eaf69ab
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-03-23T15:54:10.088728200Z" />
  <EventRecordID>26068</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>############</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>PBIDesktop.exe</Data>
  <Data>2.79.5768.721</Data>
  <Data>5e6b1104</Data>
  <Data>ucrtbase.dll</Data>
  <Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>
  <Data>4361b720</Data>
  <Data>c0000409</Data>
  <Data>000000000006db8e</Data>
  <Data>5d9c</Data>
  <Data>01d600910085a823</Data>
  <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe</Data>
  <Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll</Data>
  <Data>c371f26a-73b8-438f-b21b-d5d32eaf69ab</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>

-------------------------------------------
Please fix ASAP.

Regards,

Arjan

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zelrobericI tried reverting back to the old ribbon, and it seemed to fix my major freezing issue; however, the just the ribbon itself now freezes on occasion.

Thanks for letting us know about this partial workaround

zelroberic
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mecho,

That is a bug in the old ribbon. You just need to click on some object  outside Power BI and then click on the Ribbon in Power BI and that should get it working again.

chross
Advocate III

Have any of you logged a ticket with Microsoft Support yet on this issue?  We haven't yet, but will be today since the constant freezing issue (even with new ribbon disabled) is causing time lost!!! Let me know if any of you hear anything!!!

vpatel55
Kudo Commander

@chross yes I logged a ticket when I posted this message. They said they will pass this onto the relevant team. No idea of anything has been done about it. Personally, I'm not upgrading from February's release, as it works fine and the benefits of the March release are completely drowned by its stability issues.

Stemar_Aubert
Resolver I

Have this issue, occurs often and randomly.