Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

New Power BI Desktop interface keeps freezing - HELP

Hello, since the new ribbon interface was rolled out, my Power BI Desktop Pro is completely unresponsive and keeps freezing. I cannot minimise, maximise, or move the window at all. The ribbon is completely unresponsive. Occassionally, it will randomly unfreeze, only to re-freeze. This is affecting all my reports. I cannot get any work done. This is an issue with PowerBI and not my system, I have the latest Core i7 with 32Gb of system memory on Windows 10. All my other apps are fine. It was working fine before the new interface was rolled out. Any help would be appreciated, particularly on how I can roll this back to the previous version.

Comments
joel888
Regular Visitor

i'm having the same problem - very unstable release !

jacschZA
Advocate I

Also having numerous freezes and crashing since the March 2020 update...

Hopefully a bug fix coming soon.

jdoerner
Regular Visitor

Same here. Frozen in place. had to kill with task manager. 

Update: For my particular experience, it is failing in a power bi that is using add-in visuals such as map-box/arcgis maps. A colleague is not having the same issue with a very basic pbix that just has some stock visualizations. 

joel888
Regular Visitor

one workaround: alt-tab away from Power BI Desktop window, then alt-tab back to it and it seems to unfreeze.

joel888
Regular Visitor

another "window stability" issue that I noticed:  if you bring up the 'Transform Data' window (Power Query), and minimize it, then restore it repeatedly, the window gets bigger and bigger - also very annoying.

vpatel55
Kudo Commander

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I've found out that you can also download previous versions from here which I will try:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

I am rather annoyed that Microsoft can just roll out such a very major and buggy update and we are then forced to figure out fixes ourselves.

vpatel55
Kudo Commander

Just an update in that uninstalling the March 2020 update (the one with the new ribbon), and then installing the February 2020 release (from the above link) has completely resolved the issue for me.

I'm keeping this from now on. Personally I'm not risking an auto update ever again.

However now I have to set up all my connections again, and this is not going very smoothly. So please bear this in mind if you choose to uninstall the March unstable edition of Power BI.

I can't think what would have happend if I had saved a file in the new version, as that would have probably made my files unreadable with the older version.

jthomson
Solution Sage

Similar issues here, keeps freezing/lagging, have had to kill the process at least once this morning

Anonymous
Not applicable

The March 2020 Power BI desktop version is unusable. I too am having freezing issues. Had to download and install the February 2020 version to continue our work.   Please fix fast.  

zilaif
Regular Visitor

Same issue, please fix.