Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

New Power BI Desktop interface keeps freezing - HELP

Hello, since the new ribbon interface was rolled out, my Power BI Desktop Pro is completely unresponsive and keeps freezing. I cannot minimise, maximise, or move the window at all. The ribbon is completely unresponsive. Occassionally, it will randomly unfreeze, only to re-freeze. This is affecting all my reports. I cannot get any work done. This is an issue with PowerBI and not my system, I have the latest Core i7 with 32Gb of system memory on Windows 10. All my other apps are fine. It was working fine before the new interface was rolled out. Any help would be appreciated, particularly on how I can roll this back to the previous version.

Comments
teneilkw
Frequent Visitor

@vpatel55 thank you. i've tried this and it still freezes. i can't even move the mouse.

davidbmitchell

I am running PowerBI desktop on a Mac using Parallels. The screen is frozen from the moment it launches and I can't close it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue has been bothering me for the past couple of weeks - running windows 10 64bit. I went into File -> Options -> Data Load and cleared the Data Cache as well as the Q&A Cache. I also went to File -> Options -> Preview Features and disabled the 'Updated Ribbon' feature. It forced me to restart and after the first refresh after restarting, the application crashed. I opened back up and haven't had issues since. I just went through a series of saves and other activity that was locking up my file yesterday and the issue doesn't seem to be recurring... at least for now. Thought I would post here in the event this helps someone else. I do love the new ribbon layout once its working properly 🙂

EDIT: I've had the same file open for a few hours, making changes, saving, etc. I've saved around 10-15 times without needing to close down the application and re-open the file. I was lucky if I got 1 or 2 saves in without crashing yesterday.

Lori
Helper II

This is still happening.  I just loaded the May 2020 update and it immediately went to 100% CPU.  I did the April update and it happened then too.  I've disabled the the new ribbon feature and that didn't help.  

FYI, I can still create reports - I use the main report as the source for all the sub-reports.  The subreports are easily accessed and published.  If I have to change a calculation though, or create a column or measure that will be used by all sub-reports, I can't change anything in the main report.

devhawkio
Frequent Visitor

This issue or one similar to it is still happening in the July and August 2020 versions.

kris999
Frequent Visitor

Same problem different month.
I've lost so much work on this issue.
Windows 10 intel 1-9700 3.6HZ 64Gb Ram

mhardy
Advocate I

New build, 2.88.1385 - STILL A PROBLEM.

This is so infuriating.  My productivity & sole has been crushed with these freeze ups.

Please, for the sweet love of god, stop adding features and FIX THIS.

devhawkio
Frequent Visitor

Best advice I have is to make sure you turn off preview features, clear data cache, work on a machine with lots of RAM, and assign a lot of RAM in the settings area. Then make sure there are no DAX measures in an error state. The last issue was what fixed my issues last summer. Once I fixed the data model, the report was much more responsive. 

LoriB
Regular Visitor

The November 2020 update fixed it for me... long wait for a fix.  PBI customer support said I had to wait from June to September for a fix, then that didn't work.  Basically unable to edit for half the year.  Now I'm so far behind instituting some of the great new features I really like I may never catch up.

mhardy
Advocate I

Thanks for the feedback. The sole crushing defeat of a freeze just before hitting save has been taking it's toll on me.  I'll try anything.

I have 64G of RAM so that's rarely a problem, especially with my current data model which is less than 200M uncompressed.  Though I've never changed the max allowed in settings.  I'll jack that up, but I suspect that's not the issue.  I never have broken measures when the freeze occurs but I'll keep a close eye on that.

I do have some preview features on.  Great call on turning those off.  I'll turn off everything I can live without... and if that doesn't work, all the rest.