Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New Field Parameters incompatible with Analyze in Excel

I connected my power bi desktop model (that uses the new field parameters) with the Analyze in Excel External tools.

As far As I added only dimentions, it worked. Bud mixed with an eplicit measure I had this error:

RenatoLira_0-1652734095356.png

The error translates something like:

The column [Parameter] is part of a composite key, byt not all columns of the compostite key were included at the expression.

What I could deduce is that the application at PBI Desktop is at the construction of the DAX Query itself.

Somewhat, creating MDX queries through Excel something got missing.

Can you confirm that I cannot use this feature with Analyze in Excel?

Hi @RenatoLira ,

The error occurs because, as it says, [Parameter] is part of a compound key and you need to filter on all columns of the compound key.

In our investigation, we found a similar thread that explains why this error occurs in Power BI,

you can refer to:DAX Dimension Composite Key Syntax Question 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @RenatoLira ,

The error occurs because, as it says, [Parameter] is part of a compound key and you need to filter on all columns of the compound key.

In our investigation, we found a similar thread that explains why this error occurs in Power BI,

you can refer to:DAX Dimension Composite Key Syntax Question 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

ElisaT
Advocate II

Hi, I have the same problem but I don't understand the proposed solution. "Field parameter" creates a table with a column with fields from, "potentially", different tables. One use of this feature is to choose dynamically the dimensions to display in visuals. Why, in Excel, should I apply a filter on all original columns involved?

Christophe93
Helper II

Unfortunately (and perhaps it might have been too complicated to implement) , fields parameter is not part of the model
It is a piece of information that the client tool needs to use in order to execute the proper query
If the client tool does not support querying through a fields parameter, then the feature will not work.

The first noticeable exception is Excel
(Excel speack MDX) .... but also Tableau connected to a pbi dataset .. etc....