Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New Desktop version hanging on connecting to model

jbillard_1-1664467940646.png

This version of PowerBI Desktop has caused one of our files to hang on refresh.  I've seen this issue mentioned in previous versions.  Is anyone aware of this bug and are there any solutions to this?  The file refreshed fine last week.

Hi @jbillard ,

Will it eventually generate any error messages, or does it always remain in such a refreshed interface?

Is this the only file you encounter this problem with, or does it happen with every single one?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @jbillard ,

Will it eventually generate any error messages, or does it always remain in such a refreshed interface?

Is this the only file you encounter this problem with, or does it happen with every single one?

Best regards,

jbillard
Regular Visitor

@v-mengzhu-msft At one point it did which was a null type to text error.  I fixed that error and it still hangs.  I installed the August version of PowerBI and no difference.  It is only one file that has this issue and it only began happening this week.  The data sources are all excel documents using a Web connection to our SharePoint site.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jbillard ,

Is there a detailed error message, or can you show a screenshot related to the problem?

Best regards,

jbillard
Regular Visitor

The error below after a few hours is produced once my RAM (16GB) runs out.  The culprit is the SSAS process which I've monitored in task manager.  It steadily grows until the eventual crash while all other subprocesses stay relatively unchanged.  The document is not large enough to warrant such high RAM usage.  I've checked DAX studio for any high cardinalities and heavy memory loads but nothing stands out.

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available."

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jbillard ,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

It seems very likely that the problem is caused by a lack of memory. If you can, you should reduce the amount of queries in the file as much as possible to improve the file's runtime performance.

Hope this link can help you:

How to Improve Power BI Performance - Part I (bluegranite.com)

Monitor report performance in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,