Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Negative y axis appears when displaying small values, less than 1 using scientific notation

We deal with results that are small values less than 1.  They are not negative numbers.  But they are often in the range of 1x10^-2 to 1x10^-12 values.  We have been using PowerBI for the last year.  Recently in the last month it was noticed that our charts of these numbers create a false negative axis.  This makes the charts unreadable.  see figure "example of initial problem".  negative axis problem.PNG

We have tried setting the min value to 0 but that does not solve it.  We have found that increasing the significant figures of the value to 4 or 5 helps temporarily.  see figure "example of fix when increase decimals displayed...". 

However this only works initially.  If the user then selects a filter that reduces the dataset, then the problem returns - see figure "example of problem return..."

We have a large range of values (all less than 1) to display so we cannot increase the decimals of the scientific notation further - 4 or 5 digits are already too many to display anyway given the uncertainty of the values to begin with.  

We are not sure when this problem started; we did not notice it in the spring or early summer.  So it must be a new issue that started sometime in the summer.  Sorry we cannot comment on which version.  negative axis problem fix.PNGnegative axis problem fix2.PNG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@zenc

If all data are less than 1, please leave Start as Auto and End to 1 for Y-Axis to see if it works.

Best Regards,
Herbert

zenc

Thanks Herbert. Tried this and does not solve problem.  The values we are displaying are very small in range of 1x10^-3 to 1x10^-9.  So when I put the End value to 1, the y-axis scale only shows 0 to 1 and that means my bars disappear as they are so small.  I tried putting in end values of 0.1 (same problem as 1); 0.01 is better but the problem is that the sum of my values sometimes would be greater than this; 0.001 causes the negative axis to reappear.