Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Need Help On Power BI Visualization

Hi Team, I am a beginner of Power BI and need help to create visualization from huge amount of data.  I need to organize data, unpivot lots of columns,  convert text to date, and create column & cumulative line chart. Can I create a new table with reference to the original table? What are the DAX functions need to use and how? Would like to keep the file size as low as possible. Appreciate your help. 

Hi @Mahboob

First , you can unpivot lots of coliumns and convert text to date in Power BI editor . 

Ailsamsft_0-1670477335149.png

Then if you want to create new table with reference to the original table ,  you can create Virtual tables (SUMMARIZE) or Virtual columns (ADDCOLUMNS,SELECTCOLUMNS) by measures . Because the measure is validated by adding it to visual, it will not take up your memory or make the file larger.

SUMMARIZE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

ADDCOLUMNS function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

SELECTCOLUMNS function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

As for making the data visual, you can refer to the following document.

Visualization types in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Mahboob

First , you can unpivot lots of coliumns and convert text to date in Power BI editor . 

Ailsamsft_0-1670477335149.png

Then if you want to create new table with reference to the original table ,  you can create Virtual tables (SUMMARIZE) or Virtual columns (ADDCOLUMNS,SELECTCOLUMNS) by measures . Because the measure is validated by adding it to visual, it will not take up your memory or make the file larger.

SUMMARIZE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

ADDCOLUMNS function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

SELECTCOLUMNS function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

As for making the data visual, you can refer to the following document.

Visualization types in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao