Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Navigator Window: 10,000 item limit per folder

Summary:
I'm connecting to an Oracle database with many schemas, displayed as folders on the Navigator Window so I'll refer to them as folders here. The View I'm trying to access is in a folder with >100k other items. The Navigator Window only loads the first 10k items, so I'm not able to directly select the desired View. I've found a workaround, which I'll explain in the details below, but it only works if I know the exact name of the item I'm trying to access.
Is there another way I could access the folder so I could browse through all items it contains?

Details:
The screenshot below shows the Navigator window with a folder called "APPS" expanded, containing 10,000 items. The APPS folder actually contains >100k items, but not all are displayed. No more items load over time, there appears to be a 10k limit on how many items the Navigator will load per folder. Items are arranged alphabetically, the 10k items displayed encompass items beginning with 'A' through 'E'. The view I'm trying to access begins with 'X', so it cannot be directly selected. 

brandsieh_0-1629908142794.png

I've found a workaround that allows me to indirectly select an undisplayed item in the same folder as long as I know the exact name of the item. I can select another item in the same folder, Transform Data, and then change the 'Name=<Item_Name>' in the Navigation step from the selected item to my desired item. More screenshots below.

brandsieh_1-1629908980204.pngbrandsieh_2-1629908989130.png

Remaining Problem:

While this workaround gets me access to the specific item I need, it doesn't allow me to browse for an item I don't know the exact name of. Is there another method I can use to browse through all items in the folder?

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @brandsieh ,

As far as I know currently the limitaion of the Navigator is by design in Power BI Desktop.

If you want to query some other tables from DB, you can try to use SQL statement under Advanced options.

Refer these similar issues:

1. Incomplete list of tables for Oracle schema 
  2. Connect to Oracle database schema not displayed 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li