Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NEW BUG: Bigquery connection error - DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][DSI]

Hi All,

I have some qeird error in my PowerBI. When I try to connect to the bigqeury views I get this error:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][DSI] An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the error message for key 'GApiErr' with message parameters ['Access Denied: BigQuery BigQuery: Permission denied while getting Drive credentials.'] and component ID 100: Message not found in file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ODBC Drivers\Simba Google BigQuery ODBC Driver\en-US\SimbaBigQueryODBCMessages.xml"
Szczegóły:
DataSourceKind=GoogleBigQuery
DataSourcePath=GoogleBigQuery
OdbcErrors=[Table]

The problem is that it works for some views and I got this error for other views, there is no pattern like different naming etc.

Also I reinstalled PowerBI, tired to use previous versions, tried on a different company computer, changed permission rights, tried different connections etc. but without success.

I also checked it using different users with windows and it is exactly the same. Cleaning cache does not work as well.

At the beginning I thought that it may be related to the latest windows update, but I removed all the windows updates and it is still not working.

Any ideas what the error is or how to solve it?

You can create a support ticket in the end of the support page:

vyingjl_0-1645435782660.png

About tracing Power BI, see:

1. How to collect a trace in Power BI Desktop 
  2. Use Fiddler to trace 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Similar issue had been submited previously(ICM: 275695111), wants to collect more information about this issue:

1. Whether this issue happens in Google BigQuery connector, not ODBC connection
  2. Power BI Desktop version
  3. Has this ever worked before?

In addition, for information 1, if this issue only happens in Google BigQuery connector, have you tried to use ODBC connector to connect to the same table in the same source to check this issue, see:

ODBC and JDBC drivers for BigQuery  

When using Google BigQuery connector, whether it has error like below for a table while using ODBC connection could show the data normally?

vyingjl_0-1645412180563.pngvyingjl_1-1645412190145.png

Best Regards,

Cob_Adm1
Regular Visitor

Hey,

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, it happend when I try to connect to BQ using BQ connector. The weird thing is that it worked very well before and broke last week, but only for some views on BQ, other views and tables from BQ still works well.

For example I have a few tables and views from BQ I used and now a few of them still works fine, a few does not and gives this error.

Unfortunately I did not test ODBC as I do not have that. Looks like this is a paid solution and I would like to make working this free one.

Cob_Adm1_0-1645427102342.png

2.  PowerBI version:

Cob_Adm1_1-1645427308057.png

Important thing, I downgraded version and previously had also a newer, but it does not work on any of them.

3. Answer in the first question: yes, it worked previously and still work for some views.

I hope this helps, in case you need more info just let me know.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating
Important thing, I downgraded version and previously had also a newer, but it does not work on any of them.

Did a newer version of Power BI Desktop is 2.102.683.0 64-bit (February 2022) that you have tried, if not, you can try to test this latest version about this issue.

If the latest version still has the same issue, perhaps it need to collect log files to trace it. Due to community security, we cannot collect customers' logs and customers should not publish their log files on the community. We suggest you to create a support ticket here for further help since this issue only happens on some views and clears caches not work.

Best Regards,

Cob_Adm1
Regular Visitor

Yep, I got this version before and had exactly the same issue. How can I find the logs? How to create this "private" ticket?

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

You can create a support ticket in the end of the support page:

vyingjl_0-1645435782660.png

About tracing Power BI, see:

1. How to collect a trace in Power BI Desktop 
  2. Use Fiddler to trace 

Best Regards,

Cob_Adm1
Regular Visitor

Sure, I created a ticket under my email account, so you can take a look at the logs I shared. In case you need anything else, please let me know.

TrackingID#2202210050000673

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cob_Adm1 I have the same problem ! And I resolved it.

In order to resolv it you have to check the source of your view. Problem in your google sheet that ur are using. Power BI doesn t accepte a table / view if you can't see an overview in BigQuery. 

TatiparthiKiran
Regular Visitor

I got the same issue with same error message but when i go ahead with Advance options provided the billing projectid and project id detials in the text boxes it worked fine, Please try that

OAndr

This error happened to me when i changed one of data sources from table to view. When I changed format back error disappeared.

jonaseikanger
Frequent Visitor

Hi! I do also face this problem and I do not understand your answers as I'm somewhat new to PBI and GBQ. Could you post some screenshots etc so it would be easier to manage this error? 🙂