Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.

Encountered problem starting this October regarding our scheduled refresh.

Only have three data sources, which are 2 excel files and one from the MySQL Database.

Here is the error,

bcdejesus_0-1666842361929.png

Due to this recurring issue, we are currently resorting to manual refresh via PBI desktop and publishing to the PBI service.

Hope someone can help me solve the issue.

Thank you.

Hi @bcdejesus ,

Currently MySQL database uses Import mode to connect in Power BI which has some limitations:

Import Mode Limitations in Power BI

• Depends on the imported data size, A lot of consumed memory and disk space
  • On your machine (during the implementation),
  • On the online/on-prem server (when it published).
  • The Power BI file size can’t be bigger than 1 GB.
  • You will get an error If the file size is bigger than 1 GB, in this case, you must have the Power BI Premium that allows having 50 GB file size.
  • No recent data without a refresh.

You may also refer to Solved: mysql fatal error encountered during data read - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @bcdejesus ,

Currently MySQL database uses Import mode to connect in Power BI which has some limitations:

Import Mode Limitations in Power BI

• Depends on the imported data size, A lot of consumed memory and disk space
  • On your machine (during the implementation),
  • On the online/on-prem server (when it published).
  • The Power BI file size can’t be bigger than 1 GB.
  • You will get an error If the file size is bigger than 1 GB, in this case, you must have the Power BI Premium that allows having 50 GB file size.
  • No recent data without a refresh.

You may also refer to Solved: mysql fatal error encountered during data read - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

bcdejesus
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft ,

Power BI File is only 33 MB.

RAM of the desktop computer is 16 GB with around 10 GB available for use. Also, followed the steps on the solution presented on this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/mysql-fatal-error-encountered-during-data-read/td-p/2237745.

Hope there is other solution for the error. Thank you.

infra-advice

Goodnight,

I'm trying this problem.

Managed to solve?

bcdejesus
Regular Visitor

Hi @infra-advice ,

Still not able to solve the problem with the solution proposed above. Do you know other alternatives that I can try to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

miiihiir
Helper II

I am also facing same issue, rn I'm trying to load it from desktop level where it is successfully loading all the data, and then I need to publish it again on server. But there must be some alternate for future schedule refreshing.

Please let me know if we've cracked it

Thanks

will_rebelo
Regular Visitor

Same problem here.

On pbi desktop it goes fine. On pbi service, scheduled refresh, it gives the error: MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read.

Tried deleting all sources permisisons and re did it. Still not working on scheduled refresh.

will_rebelo
Regular Visitor

I got it here.

I solved my problems by creating the appended table in dax, not in power query, using union.

I think the fact that in desktop it works, and in service it doesn't, is that when you append a table in power query, m language goes around the fact that the tables havn't the same number of columns, by creating new ones on the table that has less. It also append by column name, so the columns doesn't have to be in the same order.

When it goes to the service, it converts the append into a sql union function, and then the error "MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read" comes.

When I first tried to use the union function in dax, it return an error, about the number of columns of the 2 tables. After that the issue was that the data went to the wrong columns, even when the order was the same in power query. Turns out, the order of the columns is the order of creation of each one.

So I used SELECTCOLUMNS and fixed all the problems.

Appended Table = 

UNION( 

SELECTCOLUMNS(
	Table1,
        "Name 1", Table1[Column 1],
        "Name 2", Table1[Column 2],
        "Name 3", Table1[Column 3]
    ),

SELECTCOLUMNS(
	Table2,
        "Name 1", Table2[Column 1],
        "Name 2", Table2[Column 2],