Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

My Power BI report (app) doesn't sync with the latest data from my excel file in Sharepoint

Hello:  my power BI report in the app (workspace) doesn't sync/refresh with the latest data of the excel spreadhseet located in Sharepoint. I have to go to Power BI desktop, click refresh and publish it again so that it shows in the Power BI app report. This is very inneficient. The idea is that when we change the data in the excel spreadsheet in the Sharepoint, anybody that has access to the report, can click refresh in the Power Bi app and see the changes.  However, This is not the case.  The power BI report has auto-refresh enable but it doesn't update anything. Can you please advise?  

Hi @Bfreire ,

I have done a test, also adding a new column to the excel data source, the refresh does not show up; if you simply change a number value in the data source, the refresh is successful.
Therefore, in the service, the data refresh is a test of whether the metadata has changed, that is, it only refreshes the data set that you have uploaded to the service. If you add new columns or tables to the data source, as you have done, in the excel source, this cannot be refreshed.

When you open the dataset, what is shown on the right side is the metadata,like this:

vmengzhumsft_0-1664777643457.png

So I think you need to go with a re-upload.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Bfreire ,

What's your meaning of "auto-refresh", is it "automatic page refresh"?

If so, notice that when you publish your automatic page refresh-enabled report from Power BI Desktop to the service, you'll have to provide the credentials for the DirectQuery data source on the dataset settings menu.

Or,you can also set automatic page refresh for reports that have been published to the Power BI service as long as the data source is DirectQuery.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If I misunderstand your meaning, please tell me in advance.

Best regards,

Bfreire
Employee

Hi  what I meant is that if I add new data in the excel spreadhseet source, and then I click refresh here in the power BI report , it doesn't reflect the new data. 

Bfreire_0-1663940548095.png

In order for everybody to see the new data that was enter in the source, I have to go to the Power BI desktop app, click refresh and then publish it.

Bfreire_1-1663940702787.png

I set up scheduled refresh in the power BI app but it doesn't show the change.

is there any way that the report can be refreshed with the new data without me having to go into the PBI desktop and clicking refresh, then publish it again? 

Thanks

Bfreire
Employee

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft 

do you have any insight or solution regarding regarding my question? I need to solve this issue ASAP.

If I add new data in the excel spreadhseet source, and then I click refresh here in the power BI report , it doesn't reflect the new data. 

Bfreire_0-1664280794370.png

In order for everybody to see the new data that was enter in the source, I have to go to the Power BI desktop app, click refresh and then publish it.

Bfreire_1-1664280794122.png

I set up scheduled refresh in the power BI app but it doesn't show the change.

is there any way that the report can be refreshed with the new data without me having to go into the PBI desktop and clicking refresh, then publish it again? 

Thanks

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Bfreire ,

I have done a test, also adding a new column to the excel data source, the refresh does not show up; if you simply change a number value in the data source, the refresh is successful.
Therefore, in the service, the data refresh is a test of whether the metadata has changed, that is, it only refreshes the data set that you have uploaded to the service. If you add new columns or tables to the data source, as you have done, in the excel source, this cannot be refreshed.

When you open the dataset, what is shown on the right side is the metadata,like this:

vmengzhumsft_0-1664777643457.png

So I think you need to go with a re-upload.

Best regards,

Bfreire
Employee

@v-mengzhu-msft   I am not adding a new column. This is for an editorial calendar. I am just changing a date or adding a new activity with dates (same format).  However, unless I refresh in Power BI desktop and re-publish it, it doesn't refresh in the powerbi app when you click the refreh button.