Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Multiple retries required to update app published to Office 365 group

When attempting to update a Power BI app that has been shared with an Office 365 group, multiple retries are needed in order for the group address to be accepted.  Here is the pattern I usually see for this:

1. When the Access tab is first loaded, the Office 365 group is included in the permissions list by name.
  2. After the update button is clicked, the group is removed from the permissions list, and a message in the following pattern is highlighted below the permissions list control: "These email addresses are invalid or duplicate: group@company.onmicrosoft.com"
  3. After #2, the group cannot be located by typing in the permissions list control (using either its name or its email address).
  4. If the group e-mail address is typed or pasted in the permissions list control, updating the app may become possible, but this usually requires several attempts (usually at least 3, sometimes more than 5).
Comments
Bgladding
Frequent Visitor

I'm having a similar issue - but with two specific users.  No amount of retries seems to correct it.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @NC,

Can you add other office 365 group to Access tab of the apps? Is there any difference between this group and other group? Which kind of Office 365 group you have this issue? 

@Bgladding Any difference between those two specific users to other user? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Bgladding
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft - my issue is described here:  

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/App-Not-Retaining-Some-Users/idi-p/288498

There are no differences between the two users in question and other users in the setup - in short:  I am able to include those two users in the group membership and share the dashboard with them, but I am not able to add them (permanently) into the app access.

thanks

b

NC
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft: I have experienced the same problem using multiple Office 365 groups in multiple Power BI apps.  I've never seen the problem with individual users though.  As for the kind of group, what exactly do you mean?  (As far as I know, these are just standard Office 365 groups, but if there are details of their configuration that might be relevant to you, could you please specify?)

Thanks,

Nicole

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @NC,

There are many Office 365 groups: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Compare-groups-758759ad-63ee-4ea9-90a3-39f941897b7d

Which kind of group do you want to grant permission for apps? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

NC
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft: As indicated in both my messages in this thread, these are Office 365 groups.  They are not shared mailboxes, AD groups, or d-lists.

Nicole

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @NC

You can see from here

on Access, decide who has access to the app: either everyone in your organization, or specific people or email distribution lists.

The normal office 365 group isn't able to be granted access to apps. This should be the issue in your scenario. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

NC
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft: The wording in the referenced link is rather ambiguous, and I find it rather difficult to exclude an expectation of Office 365 groups working for this based on that reference alone.  In addition, please note that it is definitely possible to use an Office 365 group to grant access to a Power BI app (and has been for quite some time now.  The only problem occurs on update of the app.

FWIW, the problem seems to have worsened this week, but I did find a workaround.  Removing the group from the access list then immediately adding it back before the first attempt to update seems to result in a successful update each time.  The problematic behaviour really seems to be an error in the validation for the permissions list data, as opposed to a functional problem with controlling access to an app via an Office 365 group.

Regards,

Nicole

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @NC

I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. It should be better to let engineers look into your real environment. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu