Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Multiple Reports From Similar Data-sets - Refresh Not Supported?

So I have found what I think to be an interesting issue.

I have 2 reports, lets call them A and B. The dataset for A consists of a folder and a file. It uploaded to the Power BI Service and refreshed without a problem for months.

A few days ago I tried to upload report B. The dataset for B is the same folder that A uses, as well as another folder. When I upload it to the Power BI Service, it says I have a dataset that does not support refreshes and does not allow me to schedule refreshes. Now if when A refreshes the data for the folder A and B share B also got the new data that might be one solution, but this still leaves the other folder that B relies on without a refresh option. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug or by design? 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @compscinj,

Form your description, report B get data from two folders, do these two folders from local drive, network share or SharePoint online? 

After you import data to Power Bi desktop, do you perform any steps in Query Editor? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

compscinj
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft,

The folders are local and there is a data gateway setup. I am sure it is configured correctly because report A can refresh without issue. 

Many steps are performed in Query editor. Does that effect it?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @compscinj,

Please create a new report, just get data from these two folders, then publish the report to service check if the same message display. 

If not, you can use exclusive method but this will waste some time. You can back up the original issued pbix file firstly. Then open the report in Power BI desktop, remove one step in Query Editor each time, then publish the report to Power BI service, check which step causes this issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

compscinj
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft,

I created this report and it uploaded with refresh options.

I tried the exclusive method and removed every single step, even with just "Source" remaining it still did not have refresh options in the Power BI Service. I removed the query as a whole and then it uploaded with refresh options. Any idea?

Hasan

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @compscinj,

That's too strange. Till now, it's hard to provide further help from forum side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to let Microsoft engineer looking into your report and Power BI service. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

compscinj
Frequent Visitor

For anyone who might run into this issue, I had to re-create the report from scratch. There was no difference in the DAX or M used, but re-creating it fixed it. Maybe something under the hood.