Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Multi-Role RLS not working showing data for users assigened multiple roles

I have implemented a static RLS based on office key on a dimension table of a star schema.  The RLS works perfectly in Power BI desktop when I "View as".  The RLS works perfectly fine when I "Test as Role" in the dataset security setting in Power BI service.  However, end users that are impacted by the RLS recieve the following error:

"The query encountered security filters on a table relationship that cannot be reconciled for the current user. Please contact..."

I have changed the RLS multiple time, moving to the different dimension tables that have the appropriate office name or office key.  I have also put the RLS directly on the Fact table & still recieve the same error.  

The error began when I published a new version of a previous report, replacing the old version that had basically the same type of RLS in place filtering the data based on office name.  I rebuilt the permissions lists for the new report but not having any luck getting the RSL to show anything.

Current Desktop Software Version: 2.107.683.0 64-bit (July 2022)

Any hep would be appreciated!

**UPDATE**  After additional testing the users impacted are any users that have their names added to multiple locations in the dataset security setting in Power BI service.  If I limit the user to see only one location the data appears but if they are supposed to see multiple offices based on their position the error appears.  Was under the impression that the new July update added multi RLS capabilities.

Kindly see the comments below:

"Be able to solve the issue by adding additional paramerters to the DAX filter using the OR, ||, command.  Bringing the person down to one role in RLS but adding the office locations using || the double pipe in the DAX. "

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @DeanUW ,

I can not reproduce the issue by using the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

In the past, when our users encountered this problem, the solution was to establish only one kind of secutity for every user.The two different sets of permissions conflicted with each other and threw up the error.

Best Regards,

DeanUW
Helper I

Thank you for the response.  I was able to solve the issue by adding additional paramerters to the DAX filter using the OR, ||, command.  Bringing the person down to one role in RLS but adding the office locations using || the double pipe in the DAX. 

The issue has been resolved

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Kindly see the comments below:

"Be able to solve the issue by adding additional paramerters to the DAX filter using the OR, ||, command.  Bringing the person down to one role in RLS but adding the office locations using || the double pipe in the DAX. "

Best Regards,