Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Model View Broken in Desktop

Imported three tables from Excel files stored in Sharepoint. When trying to create relationships between the tables in the Model View in Power BI Desktop the tables turn gray, I can no longer move or interact with the tables, or see the relationship lines. The only way to interact with the relationships is using the Manage Relationships button in the ribbon. All three tables have their storage mode set to import, so I should be able to create the data model in the Model View. Please help! I'm using the updated March version of Power BI desktop.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Did the issue happen with all reports or one specific report? 

Did you run the latest Power BI desktop version 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020)? 

Please check if your display settings meet requirements listed here

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

martigas
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous , do you solved this issues? I have the same problem. Thanks. 

Heather_R
Advocate I

Having the same issue here, to provide more information for the experts - I have loaded the latest version of the Destop (now the April release), and am trying to view the model for a dataset that is built from dataflows.  Please note, I am NOT connecting to a dataset on PowerBI.com  (I know I cannot manipulate the model for an imported dataset)

None of the data model connections are visible, but they are still all there, and I can manipulate them using the Manage Connections menu item.

Also, if I roll back to the Feburary release, I can view the connections.

martigas
Frequent Visitor

@Heather_R 

Hi,

I solved this problem by removing the comma characters "," from the table names (especially from these tables that had two commas in their names).

After this, I took control of the tables back into my data model.

Check it out.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Heather_R

Please see my post in this same thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Model-relationship-is-greyed-out/idc-p/999768#M55290. Please wait for May version Power BI desktop to be released. 

To work around the issue, you can try @martigas's suggestion by removing ; or , from table name. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Heather_R
Advocate I

thank you @martigas  & @v-qiuyu-msft  I have made some changes to the table names (and a few column names were also neccessary), that fixed the issue.

In my case, there were no ; or , in either place, but I did have a few : and _ symbols, once both were removed I could see the relationships again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing the same issue, Can someone pl suggest a solution other than changing the column/table name.

I am not authorized to perform the changes in DB.

sonatiwa_1-1595593100722.png

sonatiwa_0-1595593066573.png

Heather_R
Advocate I

@Anonymous 

The change you need to make is not to your database - but to the model in PowerBI, simply renaming the columns (and/or tables) in question will not impact your database.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response, Heather_R !

Yeah, I understand that 'simply renaming the columns (and/or tables) in question will not impact your database' 🙂

I should have comprehended the workaround posted by others more cautiously 'The change you need to make is not to your database - but to the model in PowerBI. 

Heather_R
Advocate I

Happy to help, and glad that you don't mind that I included that final line in the response.  It's always difficult to know just how much understanding or experience the person on the other end of a forum request has.  🙂

Good luck, and I hope this solves the issue in your datamodel.