Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Migration from PowerBI Desktop to PowerBI Report Server gives error "Something went wrong"

I created a Report on PowerBI Desktop (Nov 19 release) and wanted to migrate it to the Report Server (Sep19). Unfortunately I cannot copy/paste the error message, as it just would not allow me to...

So just some general questions:

- Whenever I hover over any visual and it starts to build the tooltip (no matter if standard or customized tooltip) I get the error "Something went wrong" - An error occurred while rendering the report"

- During my dev I had some preview- and custom-visuals on, which I then disablebd besides one (text by MAQ is still active) - could it be that there remain any artifacts, which the older RS-Version cannot accept?

- The Desktop RS-Version feels slower than Desktop version, any explanation for this or is it just coincidence on my dev machine?

Sorry again for not being able to paste more details. I hopy you still can suggest something else than building the whole complex report in RS-Version again...

Thanks,
Alex

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@alexrobe ,

Have you created any custom visuals in your PBI report? Some custom visuals may not be supported by power bi report server. Please delete these custom visuals or modify the json file and try again.

Also make sure Power bi desktop and power bi desktop(report server) has been updated to the latest version.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

alexrobe
Advocate III

Yes I had. Deleted all of them. Even went "into" the PowerBI-File by renaming it into .zip andmaking sure all  Custom Visuals are deleted inside. Unfortunately no change to the better.

I would be just great to get a more detailed/user friendly information our of PowerBI WHAT component causes the issues...

Any better ideas than re-modelling it from scratch are welcome! 🙂

thx, Alex

alexrobe
Advocate III

Thread not urgent anymore as I remodelled everything in the prior RS version.
Generally more info, what is the issue would still be highly appreciated...

Thanks,

Alex