Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Microsoft 365 usage analytics - Report Reader permission is not sufficient for connecting to OData

Hi, 
It seems that Report Reader permission is not sufficient for connecting to OData > MS O365 usage API (https://reports.office.com/pbi/v1.0/\<tenantid\>), as it should be according to documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/admin/usage-analytics/usage-analytics?view=o365-world...

Practically, it fails into an error for me: 'TenantOfficeLicences - Access to the source is forbidden'.

The other tables of the API cannot be loaded either, failing into error: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException' was thrown.. '

Thanks for correction

Jana

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jermako

Based on my test, the Reports reader role is able to get data from Microsoft 365 usage analytics. Please clear the data source permission in Data Sources Settings, then follow this document to call Odata reporting API. After you sign in the account which has Reports reader role, please choose the level like below: 

a2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

jermako
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I believe I did everything as described in the document; still the same error: access to the Licence table forbidden, which cancelles all other tables to load.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jermako

Did you choose the the same level highlighted in my previous post after sign in your account for data source? Also please update Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.79.5768.1082

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

jermako
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest patch, Version: 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020).

When connecting to OData from a blank new workbook I can now see the level as on your printscreen and set it up.

However, I still don't have access to any single table. The same below error appears for all the tables.

error2.png

Thanks

Jana

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jermako

It's a little strange. I tested again with a account has Reports reader role, it's able to preview the TenantMailboxUsage table data. 

q5.PNG

I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu