cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge Columns Issue

Using the latest version of Power BI Desktop (July 2018), when I merge two columns together, the other values don't seem to exist anymore.

 

For example, I have a column of date time values (e.g. 1/1/2018 12:00:00AM). I add a few columns that extract the month and year of this date time column.

 

As a result, I get two columns: name of month and year. I then do some formatting actions (extracting characters and uppercase).

 

I then merge the two columns together. I expect to see a list of MonthYear values (e.g. JAN18, FEB18, etc.). However, I only see 1 MonthYear value instead of what I expected (12 or more) when trying to filter.

Status: Needs Info
Comments
Visitor

Hi,

 

I am experiencing similar issues since the July update, which has also affected my online report.

 

Upon a number of hours investigation (including a total re-build), it appears that a limit has appeared on the number of records of 1000.

 

I appreciate the data limits on the preview of data, however it seems odd that this rolls through to the data model

 

Any thoughts / known issues?

 

Thanks

 

 

Moderator

@wonga,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI July release. You can review my code. Please share your PBIX file so that I can test.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31DcyMLRQMDSyMjBQitUBCRlhChljCplgCpliCplhCpljCllgClliChkaYBHD4n5DVA/EAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Column1", type datetime}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type with Locale", "Monthname", each Date.MonthName([Column1],"en-US")),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Year", each Date.Year([Column1])),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Month", each Text.Start([Monthname],3)),
    #"Uppercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom2",{{"Month", Text.Upper, type text}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Uppercased Text",{{"Year", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.End([Year],2)),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Month", "Custom"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"YearMonth")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

2.PNG1.PNG

@Bruff, the issue you describe should fix in Power BI Desktop August release, please update your Desktop and check the issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Moderator
Status changed to: Needs Info
 
Visitor

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

All seems to be working OK now

I was also experiencing this issue with files containing merge/append query steps and August update did fix, however (after publising/republising) SERVICE still shows incomplete data.