Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Merge Columns Issue

Using the latest version of Power BI Desktop (July 2018), when I merge two columns together, the other values don't seem to exist anymore.

For example, I have a column of date time values (e.g. 1/1/2018 12:00:00AM). I add a few columns that extract the month and year of this date time column.

As a result, I get two columns: name of month and year. I then do some formatting actions (extracting characters and uppercase).

I then merge the two columns together. I expect to see a list of MonthYear values (e.g. JAN18, FEB18, etc.). However, I only see 1 MonthYear value instead of what I expected (12 or more) when trying to filter.

Comments
Bruff
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I am experiencing similar issues since the July update, which has also affected my online report.

Upon a number of hours investigation (including a total re-build), it appears that a limit has appeared on the number of records of 1000.

I appreciate the data limits on the preview of data, however it seems odd that this rolls through to the data model

Any thoughts / known issues?

Thanks

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@wonga,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI July release. You can review my code. Please share your PBIX file so that I can test.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQ31DcyMLRQMDSyMjBQitUBCRlhChljCplgCpliCplhCpljCllgClliChkaYBHD4n5DVA/EAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Column1", type datetime}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type with Locale", "Monthname", each Date.MonthName([Column1],"en-US")),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Year", each Date.Year([Column1])),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Month", each Text.Start([Monthname],3)),
    #"Uppercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom2",{{"Month", Text.Upper, type text}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Uppercased Text",{{"Year", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.End([Year],2)),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Month", "Custom"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"YearMonth")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

2.PNG1.PNG

@Bruff, the issue you describe should fix in Power BI Desktop August release, please update your Desktop and check the issue.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Bruff
Regular Visitor

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

All seems to be working OK now

musicbydannyd
Advocate IV

I was also experiencing this issue with files containing merge/append query steps and August update did fix, however (after publising/republising) SERVICE still shows incomplete data.