Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.

Hi, 

I get the above message when refreshing on Power BI Online.

I have isolated the problem and know that it is literally related to the one calculated column below:

_Next Order Date = CALCULATE(MIN(Order_Header[Date]),FILTER(Order_Header,Order_Header[Date] > EARLIER ( Order_Header[Date] )
                && Order_Header[Customer_Email] = EARLIER ( Order_Header[Customer_Email] )))

I need this for a host of different measures. It just gives the next order date for a particular customer.

Is there a way to change the setting on power bi online to accomodate this before I look at ways of changing the DAX?

Many thanks in advance

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@analytics_uk 

You may try measure instead and take a look at Optimization guide for Power BI.

cmsouth
Frequent Visitor

My app started getting this error regularly when it is scheduled to refresh online, but when i manually refresh the online dataset it works.  It also refreshes fine in the desktop. 

We added memory to the server to see if that made a difference and i also tried different times of the day.  It may work for a day or two after i change the time, but it starts failing again with "Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries."

Also upgraded to most current on-prem  app this week.

Its inconsistent enough that it leads me to believe something else is amiss...

Chris