Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Measures and Calculated Fields disappearing on Refresh

I have a stable PBIX report (in use for 6+ months) that reads from a set of SQL Server database views. Recently, we pulled in a few more objects from the same source (these were tables and not views, like before). We created a few measures on these new tables. But If I hit refresh, I observe that all the calculated fields/measures on the new objects alone disappear but the refresh goes through! 

This is an issue I have been struggling with for a while. Is there anybody who has faced anything similar before? I don't have a logical explanation for it, neither am I able to recreate it on other reports. Any help is appreciated. It is quite some work to recreate the measures again!

Vatsan

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Vatsan,

After you click Refresh button in Power BI desktop, does the new imported tables disappear as well? 

Before you click Refresh button, are you sure you already saved the change? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Vatsan
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

No. The new imported tables are retained, it is only the measures/calculated fields that are disappearing. 

And the changes are definitely saved. If I open the PBIX, I see the measures. But once I refresh, they're gone. 

If I now choose to not save and go back to the old file, I still see the old measures. So the refresh is what causes the issue!

Now when I lose the measures, and I now recreate a new measure on this refreshed PBIX, that measure gets retained. So I'm unable to explain why only in a certain case the measures don't get retained on refresh. 

I don't want to recreate everything before understanding this behaviour, lest it occurs again. Please help. 

Regards,

Srivathsan