Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrix visual doesn't show data ANYMORE if there is not field in the columns.

We have a report in PBI service containing lots of matrixes. The report uses SSAS live connection as a source

They have fields in the rows, no fields in the colums and ofcourse some values.

If I download the report and open it in PBI desktop (Version: 2.51.4885.701 64-bit (October 2017)) the report works fine.

They worked fine last thursday. Today I get a complaint of the enduser that the report doesn't show data anymore!

I only get the matrix working if I add a field of the columns. 

Has there been an update on the matrix visual? Please fix!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Ojke,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue both connect live to SSAS cube or tabular. In your scenario, please try to update the desktop to the latest version 2.52.4921.581 64-bit (November 2017). Then open the downloaded pbix file, save the report then republish to Power BI service to see if the issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mchapman
Advocate I

Same issue here against SSAS multidimensional.  I tried downloading new version of desktop and re-uploading but this didn't work.  First noticed the problem with pre-existing report that built via web interface so can't download a pbix of it.  If I try to fix it online it stops working completely.   So I tried recreating the matrix on the desktop.  I have attached a pic of what it looks like.  Then when I publish it is blank. 

Desktop Version.PNG

Is there some way we can include the user community in testing so we can help vet some of these changes before changes are rolled out to production?  I'm trying to get senior management behind a coporate wide roll-out of this tool and it makes it really hard when these types of things keep hapenning.  I believe this is the second time in the last couple of months this has happened.  I believe in this tool and want to help so please let me know how I may be of assistance .

Ojke
Advocate I

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

The problem only exists in PBI service. The downloaded report worked fine in the October version of the PBI desktop. Downloading a new version of the PBI Desktop will not fix the matrix issue in the Power BI service.

The report was originally created in Power BI desktop but all changes made over the last 3 months have been executed in the Power BI service. I basically don't use the PBI desktop anymore.

I've added a screenshot with some information below. I hope it clarifies the error.

PBI_service_matrix_error.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the same problem from a week ago (but now is not working with every type of internet connection).

Here my post:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Matrix-does-not-display-values-if-there-is-not-column/td-p/3...

Please solve it as soon as possible because i my company there are hundred of matrix and is not possible to modify all of them at once.

I think it's a really bad issue and it needs to be solved as soon as possible.

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue with the Matrix Visuals in the service.  They were working last week and now they are not working.  We previously built them in the desktop and published to the service but if I go into the edit mode in the service I no longer see options for Rows, Columns or Values.  I only see Filters.  If I download to the desktop and open in the desktop it opens just fine.  If I open the original desktop build it works just fine.  If I publish the original desktop build to the service it does not work.  I tried creating a new matrix and publishing up with the same results.  I have contact with support on this issue.  They have called me and I have sent them screen shots.  They did determine if I add a column to the matrix (which I do not have currently in the visual) and republish to the service it works and then the rows, columns and values show up in the edit mode in the service.  But of course this is not what I want in the visual.  I am using a live connection to a analysis services cube.  It sounded like this was central to the issue.  They said they will get aback to me with a time line for the fix.  They do have confirmation for other users with the same issue.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 52200056. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

rvgfox
Helper II

It's the same problem posted in:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Blank-Matrices/td-p/306785/jump-to/first-unread-message

and 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/matrix/td-p/307400/jump-to/first-unread-message

I've several reports too with matrix that worked fine until last sunday.

Please HELP !!!!

Ojke
Advocate I

As a workaround, I added something in the column fields (in PBI desktop). After upload, my data was visible again. However, I only implemented this workaround in one report as the end user needed it badly. Changing this in every report is just too much work.

I hope they can fix it real soon.