Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matrix shows incorrect data

Hello all PowerBI users.

I'm having a peoblem understanding PowerBI desktop functionality. I will  try to describe below what I'm currently facing

Steps to reproduce:

Create any table with random data. Filter column by certain value (in below example by month Aug-2018)

PowerBiProblem.png

Capture hom many rows resulted in the output (in below example by month 138)

PowerBiProblem.png

Create matrix. Put your column as Row, values as Count of that row. Filter accordingly (in below example ResolvedMMMYY as Row, Values as Count of ResolvedMMMYY. Filter by month Aug-2018. Capture that values are matching

PowerBiProblem.png  

Now the interesting part. Take any other column and place it as row. (in the below example CreatedMMMYY column)PowerBiProblem.png

Now my lovely 138 rows are gone and I see 524 rows How come?

PowerBiProblem.png

I don't have a desire to count CreatedMMMYY column, I want to count ResolvedMMMYY column filtered by Aug-2018

This functionality of powerBI doesn't make sense (at least to me :-), it counts rows by default, ignoring values.  

What if I want to create a matrix with 10 columns, counting different values, but on a single timeframe? Can I do that in PowerBI? 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @aznariy,

I notice you add the filter condition ResolvedMMMYY is Aug-2018 in the first matrix, then calculate Count of ResolvedMMMYY, it returns 138. While in second matrix, you are calculating Count of ResolvedMMMYY with condition CreatedMMMYY is Aug-2018. 

You can see filter conditions are different in these two matrix visuals. You can remove the filter condition in second matrix, then drag the ResolvedMMMYY column to Page Level Filter, select the value Aug-2018, the matrix should return 138 as well. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

aznariy
Advocate I

Hello Yu, 

I did what you suggested and that did not work. See below screenshot

PowerBiProblem.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @aznariy,

The result is correct. In your scenairo, the matrix row group is CreatedMMMYY column, when the ResolvedMMMYY is Aug-2018, there are many CreatedMMMYY values. So you need to calcualte the total of count 3+39+22+24+19+31=138. Hope it's clear now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu