Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrix expand for Tabular Model

When using the matrix, the option in the format tab [Row Header] to use the expand collapse [+/- icon] seems to only work for direct query.

Majority of our reports use a tabular model in SQL analysis services.

Is there a plan to bring this feature in when using tabular models?

Right clicking to drill down is not ideal. Clients do not realize you can do it. This has been a difficulty for the last two years.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@KEITHO 

That seems to work fine for me. Try the latest version of Power BI Desktop to re-create the report.

Asi

@v-chuncz-msft  I use the online version, does it work for you also there?  I try to use it with a live connection (SQL analysis services) and does not work... with uploading an excel file, it works.

bdarbo78
Frequent Visitor

I also have this issue when connecting to an OLAP multidim model. The +/- button display option is not available, though the hierarchies behave as expected.

RyanAck
Advocate I

It does not work if you have a multidimensional SSAS model.

It does work with tabular either self-contained in PBI or SSAS. 

KEITHO
Frequent Visitor

@RyanAck 

Thanks, that kind of confirms what I thought. It may not be an issue for most users if most are using self-contained in PBI or SSAS.

We have a multidimensional SSAS model as our data source. It would be nice to have the expand button for these too, maybe it's not technically possible or takes alot of time to develop.

RyanAck
Advocate I

@KEITHO I hear ya, we have a mixed bag of multidimensional and tabular. 

It is amazing how many more people understand the drill down functionality if the +/- is there. That tiny little detail makes the reports more usable for many users. I find most users have a really hard time understanding the various arrows you can use for drill down if the +/- isn't there.