Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrix Preview Visual Filtering (from Slicer) Not Working in Service

I have a report with a couple of slicers and the Matrix Preview visual which work fine together in the Desktop client, but the filtering gets "stuck" when viewing/interacting with the report in the Power BI Service.  The slicer will often filter the data upon first selection, but when the selection is unchecked, the data in the Matrix Preview visual does not return to its unfiltered state.  When the "eraser" button in the header of the slicer is clicked, this DOES sometimes prompt the data to revert to its unfiltered state.

Similarly, sometimes when a selection is checked in the slicer, it does not filter the data at all.  Clicking the "eraser" button and then re-attempting to use the slicer sometimes fixes the issue and enables the filtering of data (but the filtering remains stuck and won't "unfilter" until the eraser on the slicer is clicked).

Here are some snapshots:

1) Unfiltered:
Pic1-Unfiltered.JPG

2) Slicer Selected (filtering as expected in this case, although this is not consistent either):Pic2-Filtered.JPG

3) Slicer Unselected (still holding filter from when slicer was selected):

Pic3-Slicer Unselected but still filtered.JPG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@JHarb

I tried on several reports in my Power BI Service but cannot repro the same issue as you. Please refer to my video below. And let me know if there is anything different between our repro steps.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

JHarb
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

Thanks for looking into this.  I went back to the same report and the filtering appears to be working correctly now.  This was the same report I took the snapshots above from (hadn't been republished or any changes made to the underlying data model), and numerous other people had demoed the same filtering behavior for me in their browsers, but now it appears to be working properly.  So I think this can be closed out for now, and I will reach out if I observe this happening again in the future.

Thank you!

bz123

I'm having a similar issue that @JHarb experienced back in April. The interesting thing is the issue seems to occur when I copy a Matrix Preview from one page to another page. If I create a Matrix Preview from scratch I do not experience this issue. While using the Matrix Preview I'm noticing that my data is being displayed incorrectly. When I select multiple items in a slicer the value in the Matrix Preview is smaller than the value if I were to only select a single item in the slicer. For example, in my dataset group A's value is 814 when only January is selected. The value drops to 794 when both January and February are selected.  I've attached a couple of images.

jan.JPGjanfeb.JPG

mikegunns
Helper I

Having the same issue even when creating a matrix from scratch.

SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing same issues, reported in greater detail here

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filtering-in-Matrix-Preview-is-not-working-in-Online-Power-...

Unable to revert back to old matrix tables... so cant use report reliably a.t.m.

Smiley Sad

AlexisOlson
Super User

A similar thing is happening to me as well.

My matrix won't consistently update when I change my slicers (sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't). However, if I switch tabs in my report and then switch back, the table is updated properly like I'd expect to.

This happens in both the desktop program as well as when I publish it online and interact through the browser.

SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

I managed to revert back to the old table matrix style, and I'm running both old and new versions in the same report (on different pages).

I'm now seeing the exact same inconsistencies happening on both the old and new matrix visuals, still only on the online version (Desktop is working fine for both). The inconsistencies are fully repeatable.

What I've noticed is that the matrix tables seem to be having the most difficulty transitioning from states where data is being displayed, to states where there is no data to display, as the images in my previous post demonstrate.

Anybody else finding the same thing?

mikegunns
Helper I

It definitely did not react well when changing filters between states where no data is displayed and those with data. However it seems to be okay now. Does this seem to be resolved for everyone else?

SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

Nope... still doing the same thing on both old and new matrix tables.

My dataset is quite small too... 2 tables of about 1000 rows each. I tried removing some of the tables from the page (I had 3 on one page) so now I only have 1 table matrix on the page... made no difference to performance.