Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Managed Permissions Not Retained After App Update

I have been using the manage permissions feature on datasets to restrict access to certain reports in my apps. However, every time I update an app the permissions reset.

Obviously that will quickly become impossible to manage with lots of datasets, reports, and users.

When an app updates, permissions should not reset.

(From later comment)

On a dataset I will select two users and choose remove access and click the two reports associated with that dataset. Their names will drop off the list and they won't have access to those reports.

After I update the app later, their names will reappear in the dataset permissions with access.

Those two people now have access to the reports again. I have to remove access again. 

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What permissions did you set? I tested and thought some behaviours could be by design. Such as resharing the report.

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

On a dataset I will select two users and choose remove access and click the two reports associated with that dataset. Their names will drop off the list and they won't have access to those reports.

After I update the app later, their names will reappear in the dataset permissions with access.

Those two people now have access to the reports again. I have to remove access again. 

zedleb
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous, @Vicky_Song@v-jiascu-msft

I have the same issue.  Just stumbled across this facility and thought it would be perfect to manage access to our more sensitive data. 

In testing I change the permission for an individual to 'Remove Access' in a certain dataset.  I also tick the box to remove the tester also from the report, but leave access to Dashboard.

I expect to see a blocked tile on the Dashboard as described in this documentation (under Trouble Shooting)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards

However - I update the app and get my tester to view and they have full access still.  I check again in the Manage Permissions and see the tester has returned to the list with Read and Reshare access.

This is potentially a really great solution for us as we have a long circuit to creation of shared App workspaces - looking forward to a resolution 🙂

srikanthgunnam
Helper I
Hello, I am also facing the same issue. Did you find the solution for this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also running into the same issue. Was this ever resolved?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also having the same issues.  In my case:

• I have published an App to a set of users.  They don't have permission to access the Workspace.
  • I edited the dataset Permissions, and removed the 'reshare' and 'build' permissions for each of the users so that they only had the 'App' permissions remaining.  I don't want them to be able to do any more than just run the App.

After a while, the original full permissions return.  At first I thought it was related to re-publishing the app, but it actually seems to happen after a scheduled refresh of the dataset.  

Either way, I expect that the permissions should remain the same as you set them.  

Can you please investigate.

Regards, David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this ever resolved? Seems like save button should be added to the bottom of the page.

With the latest upgrade, build permissions come back on too. I am trying to remove access to the dataset so that the sensitive data is not downloaded. However, "Analyze in Excel" option comes back every single time. Spent my time on removing "Reshare" and "Build" on datasets for past two weeks.

pb1051
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Can you provide us status on this?

I have similar issues where we unpublish an app and all the users the app was shared with are removed and we have to manually add them all back. Some apps are shared with over 100 users and this is very time consuming.

I also received a reeport that when a publisher updated an app that I published that all the shared users were removed from that app. 

This is a major bug.

StianHog
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I have the same problem. When updating the app, all users get "Reshare access", even if the permission was removed before "Update app".  The end user can then share with who he wants.  Please look in to this. 

Br

Stian