cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make intellisense to show only on keyboard shortcut

Hi,

Power Query Intellisense has more dowsides than upsides in my opinion.

- 'let' and 'in' keywords aren't recognized and always replaced by some other function.  I have to move my cursor back one space in other to get rid of intellisense and then I can move to the end of the line and change line.  adding a space at the end doesn't help either.

- It is so laggy that by the time I'm done typing my code, it skipped some letters and I have to write it again.

- Over the course of a model development, I sometimes deactivate it completely if I know I'm not gonna use it.

It is supposed to speed up code writing but instead it slows us down.  So either make it more simple or just apply it when I hit a keyboard shortcut like CTRL+SPACE for example.  This way it won't slow us down when we don't need it.

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

If you have an idea to help to improve the PowerBI, you can go to the Power BI Idea to submit a new idea so that people with the same idea can vote for you. I will also vote for you.

vrobertqmsft_0-1631692406888.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

FireFighter1017
Helper III

Isn't it the defintion of an issue to report something that should be working but isn't?

The idea is there, it's just not fulfilling its purpose.  Which is speed up coding.

Here's the issues I had yesterday with this feature:

- when using intellisense to get "PowerBI.Dataflows" what it wrote was "PowerBIPowerBI.Dataflows".  It did not remove what I started to write which is "PowerBI"

- When trying to get it to auto-complete a field name it never did and I had to get out of code, get the complete field name then code again the instruction

- When trying to set a data type by entering "type text" I had to move my cursor around to get rid of the intellisense suggestions that had nothing to do wiht the code I actually was done writing.

This is not usefull and must be fixed.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description, I think if you want to use the Power query IntelliSense, you can just type the first three characters of the code, and select the function you wanted, it will not lead to any problem according to my test:

vrobertqmsft_0-1631845633080.png

Here’s a blog, you can also take a look:

https://www.ehansalytics.com/blog/2019/2/14/intellisense-in-power-bis-power-query-formula-bar

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

FireFighter1017
Helper III

Hey Robert,

I know you want to help but I don't think you understand the issue.

The link useless by the way.

How can you type "in"+[ENTER] without having intellisense screw it up?

If you answer this one I'll give you credit for it.  Otherwise, just leave this thread.