Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Make Intellisense more context sensitive

I believe one of the things I hate the most about intellisense in Power Query is that it show all objects/functions even those unrelated to the context.

Example:

I begin typing "Text." then it shows me everything.  I must not put a dot at the end otherwise it looses context.

Any other programming language is using context to feed intellisense.

Here's what I expect from Intellisense:

If I type "Text.L" I expect Intellisense to show me all text function beginning with an 'L'.

Right now it does that but also shows a bunch of unrelated functions (it has lost context somehow and showing everything that has na 'L' in its subfunctions 😞

FireFighter1017_0-1634313373173.png

and when I select the function "Text.Length", it writes this: "TextText.Length"... useless....

FireFighter1017_1-1634313401355.png

"Text.L" should be the context.  It appears that the context is ".L" and just showing me Text.Length because I used it earlier.

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @FireFighter1017 ,

Currently it is by design in Power Query. You can enter the formula you want before entering '.' in the formula bar to prevent this issue. 

If you want to use 'Text.Length', you can enter like 'textl(..)', the intellisense would be entered correctly. '.' likes starts with a new context.

In addition, you can ou can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

I'm sorry I thought this was the place for ideas.

You should rename this forum to make it clear for us.