Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Major problems with Query Editor (refreshing and adding sources do not work)

Hi there,

since yesterday I have had big problems with Query Editor in Desktop. It started when I couldn't add a new source to an existing dataset (a single .csv with less than 100 records stored on my local drive). When trying to define my .csv as new source, initializing connection message was showing for about 30 minutes, not even navigation window with content view appeared. The same situation was when I tried to define an Excel file connection. When trying to insert the data manually, the entire pbix crashed (the same situation occured few times).

I finally managed to establish a connection in an empty, new .pbix file and then copy the query via the advanced editor to the main dataset. However, there are still more problems. Now at the Query Editor level, loading queries which so far took up to few minutes, now takes over an hour and even the first step hasn't load yet (the sources are mostly files stored on Sharepoint and dataflows). Refreshing another dataset, which normally takes several minutes, has also been in the "Calculating" or "Waiting for other queries" status for over an hour. This .csv file I've managed to add to the dataset is refreshing for several minutes now and still nothing, although it should take seconds. Didn't have such situation before, so I'll appreciate all the tips 🙂

Few days ago I've deleted previous Desktop version and downloaded+installed the November update from MS Store (simple updating didn't work for some reason). 2 days ago I also activated Premium per user trial. But I didn't notice any problems before yesterday.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi @PiotrStawicki 

I have tested on my side, it works well.

and power BI has released an updated version yesterday.

Version: 2.87.762.0        Date Published:11/17/2020

Please update and try it again.

or roll back to previous month version then try it again.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

Regards,

Lin

PiotrStawicki
Frequent Visitor

Re-installing the desktop application with recent update helped. Thanks 🙂