Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Maintain Layer Order not working in PBI Service

See here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Maintain-layer-order-does-not-work-when-published-to-servic...

In neither reports with previously working 'maintain layer order' or new reports this feature seems to be working as expected. I can confirm this was working a week ago, but no longer does.

Can be reproduced by the following steps:

1. Create a new .pbix file

2. Create a rectangle in one color (blue)

3. Create a second object (can be anything - slicer, button, shape all tested) in a different color (red)

4. Send the first rectangle to back in case it isn't already (it should already be in back)

5. Select blue rectangle, tick 'Maintain Layer Order'

6. Upload to service

7. Click blue rectangle

Observed results: Blue rectangle covers up the red rectangle and layer order is not maintained

Expected results: When clicking the blue rectangle, layer order should be maintained and it should not cover up the red rectangle.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  you are right. But its not working since last 10-15 days. its a bug and i hope this will be fixed soon.

StevenKramer
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous @Anonymous hmmm, I don't remember the feature requiring objects be grouped for it to work. I see now on some videos, this is something they pointed out as being required, but I'm like 98.5% positive the feature used to work for me while items were in or not in groups. I'm not saying it didn't work differently for other users... and, additionally, I don't think being a group ought to be prerequisite for the filter to work. The features name is "Maintain Layer Order" not "Maintain Grouped Layer Order" ... it just doesn't make sense that this limiter would even exist. Also, it doesn't make sense that the default setting for all objects has this turned off. I can't think of a single use case where I would actually want this feature turned off. I tried finding a way to make my custom theme set the property to on but I couldn't find any documentation showing that this property can be controlled by custom themes... if anyone knows how, please let me know. I would be very grateful.

Dennis_Knows
Helper I

I am also encountering similar issue

Nexter
Advocate III

Has there been any progress on this yet?  It's really impacting my users.  The shapes which were originally locked behind my slicers for aesthetic reasons are now being brought to the front of the slicers when a mis-click is made.  Very frustrating, it's like we're back to before "maintain layer order" was introduced!

EDIT: Just noticed Microsoft responded earlier in the chain saying the issue has been identified and a fix will be implemented in the next few weeks.

lasersharks
Kudo Collector

Also experiencing this issue. Very frustrating to see perfectly designed reports now have visuals jumping all over the place.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When will this be fixed Microsoft? What caused the problem and is it likely to happen again?

Where can I view a full bug report on this? And is there a better way to get information other than this community page that seems to be short on the needed details?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@rhernke 

The fix should be deployed. You may check it again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, does seem to be fixed now. I spent a disproportionate amount of hours last week finding a workaround to this problem which I will now have to unpick to get it back to how it was originally.

Do you have answers to the other questions I asked above regards where these bugs are recorded and how you keep customers properly informed (Or indeed informed at all) about them? Once again, this issue utterly destroyed the end of my working week last week and I had to drop everything to 1) Work out what was going on with this and 2) Try and implement a fix which is now immediately having to be backed out again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft  Thankyou very much for this update, it seems that above issue has been fixed, and all published reports are aligned with maintain layer features now. 

andrewbrick
Advocate III

This is NOT fixed for my reports.  Do they need to be republished to the service?  (Also, my reports are in the government cloud (US))