Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MAPS - will not accept "ADDRESS" in column header name in the MAPS Location field

After intense debugging I have found a simple but major bug in PowerBI MAPS visual module.

PowerBI Bing MAPS will not accept the word "ADDRESS" in a column header name for the "Location to plot" field for combined location data. In the Argis MAPS the same data is accepted ok. 

This is vital as databases like Exchange Server as well as user Excel sheets most common will use "Address" for a location.

This may also solve some other MAP location issues elsewhere in this forum.

Solution: (Until the bug has been addressed) >> Rename the column header name: *Address*  to *Adress*

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jamahan,

Which kind of data contains in Address column? Please try to set corresponding data category for Address column. Assume it contains country values, please set data category as Country/Region. 

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jamahan
Frequent Visitor

Hello Qiuyun,

I accessed data from an excel address list or from our corporate exchange address list.

Exchange Full address: Attributes.ExtendedProperties.WorkAddress. 

Because the word "Address" is part of the header name, it is categorized to maybe the Street name (Address). But in an Exchange DB, an address is the full location containing sub data like Street Name, Street Number, City, Postal Code, Country Code, And Country etc. Also, when you send a snail mail letter you put on a Name and an Address.

You may want me to set the Location Data Category to Place, but when PowerBI auto set the category, it should tell the user it has done so, or at least investigate the data and set the correct category.

Further I would expect that this Data Category definition would be done in the query editor like the type definition.

Best Regards

Jan M-Hansen

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jamahan,

After you set the corresponding data category for location field, does the map render fine? 

From this article, you can see we need to set category to ensure locate accurately. Currently Power BI can't choose category value automatically, we need to do it manually. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu