cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M IntelliSense autocomplete overwriting code

Scenario:

• My formula bar contains a reference to a query (MyAsset in this example):
    image.pngJust a sample formula
  • I place the cursor before "MyAsset" and start typing (Table.B in this example):
    image.pngIntelliSense pops up as expected
  • Let's say Table.Buffer is exactly what I want and I press Tab to autocomplete. At this stage Table.Buffer overwrites MyAsset too:
    image.pngPressing Tab upon IntelliSense's suggestion overwrites what was to the right of the cursor

Clearly I expect "My Asset" to stay, and it would be great if an opening parenthesis were added to be in line with DAX formula bar IntelliSense.

In general, when I press Tab after IntelliSense's suggestion, I expect it to work in the same way as autocomplete works in DAX formula bar: it should autocomplete the function name and add an opening parenthesis, if it's relevant for the item at hand. In this case, it should have been Table.Buffer(MyAsset instead of Table.Buffer only.

Comments

Hi @DMM , 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 127944678. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @DMM , 

Please see below information from PG team: 

The current behavior is by design, but we're looking to improve it in the future. Customer can open the suggestion on the Power BI ideas forum (but it is a known issue we are tracking internally). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DMM Visitor
Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft When something is both by design and a known issue is a bit of oxymoron for me, so please tell the PG team that I strongly support their plans to improve this aspect of M IntelliSense. I don't think creating an idea is appropriate given that the PG team is aware of the issue and wants to improve it.