Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Locale Date Time Formats (with *) show as M/d/yyyy in menu (Jan 2018 update)

In Power BI Desktop Jan 2018 release, with a Date or Date/Time field selected in the Fields pane, when you navigate to the Modeling ribbon / Format / Date Time menu, the options at the top (marked with an *) that respect the machine locale now show in US format (e.g. M/d/yyyy) on machines with non-US locales e.g. English (Australia).

This appears to only be a problem in the display of the menu.  When date fields are shown in a visual e.g. a Table, the expected non-US locale is used e.g. d/M/yyyy.  

This issue was introduced with the Jan 2018 update to PBI Desktop.

Comments
MGPAnderson
Regular Visitor

Date issue is not fixed.

Modelling, Date, only has US options.

tsapat
Advocate I

Confirming the same, just downloaded the Feb 2018 version.

Unbelievable...At least, can you please post a download link to the Dec 2017 update?

Gopa
Advocate II

Date issue is still not fixed in the Feb 2018 version. Power BI team, please fix this on priority basis. Non-US based setting users are having major issues. 

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Here's a blog where previous builds are posted:

https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I've just tested the Feb 2018 build and I'm still seeing the same issue.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm seeing this as more of an annoyance than a showstopper. It isnt affecting the display of dates for me or my users - only the PBI Desktop UI, on the Modeling ribbon.  Am I missing something?

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

The fix will be available in the March release of 2018.

Best Regards,

Dale

tsapat
Advocate I

@mike_honeymany thanks for the link! Reverted back to Dec 2017 version.

While it is not a showstopper, it certainly is a major issue since it meddles with date formatting in non-US implementations, for new columns and measures (existing columns retain the dd/mm/yyy format). I had to implement a FORMAT() function to get my desired date formatting for some new columns, and by the time the fix will be available, I would have to remove that. Not a great way to spend your time...

sharan1
Regular Visitor

Hi mike_honey

I too thought this was limited to the Desktop UI. As tsapat says, it is a pain when you create new columns/measures as you cannot format the date into non-US format (unless you format the column manually or use the dd-MMM-yy format) but at least the pain is limited to the Desktop only.

However, this week, I had the first occurrence of a date column showing in US format on a published report in the service. The solution has been published and running well for several months and suddenly the dd/mm/yyyy dates are showing as mm/dd/yyyy causing all manner of problems. I had to update the solution to use the dd-MMM-yy format short term until we get a fix.

This makes the issue a lot larger as now our users are being impacted. Waiting another month for a fix is just untenable with this latest manifestation. I'm now obsessively checking published reports to ensure the date columns are showing as they should 😞

Sharan

MGPAnderson
Regular Visitor

@v-jiascu-msft  This shows the lack of testing by Microsoft and the lack of consideration to international users.  If you want us to adopt the technology then it needs to work better.  Don't just stick to deadlines because they exist.  A quality, fully tested product, will always be respected and appreciated.

There are far too many annoyances, inconveniences and bugs in Power BI (all variants) for my liking but it does not help that Microsoft adds major bugs to the list, that take 2 months to fix.

I am not impressed.

SSRS takes effort but works better and does what it says it on the tin, learn from them!  Please!

@mike_honey.  Thanks for finding the previous versions list.  Dec 17 already downloaded.

gooranga1
Power Participant

Really disappointing that this issue still persists. To add insult to injury all date slicers are now defaulted to US format ONLY.

Very poor indeed as this makes Feb version unusable for us.