Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Loading data from excel fails when column heading contains line feed

I have found a problem that I can reproduce every time in Power BI Desktop. This was working fine the last time I made modifications to the report (a month or two ago), so is new to recent (at least March) releases.

The errors I recieved are:

• OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E4E.
  • The 'Impact (H/M/L)' column does not exist in the rowset. (note this seems to change every refresh to a different table with the same conditions)

What I have found is that this happens when there is a line feed in the Excel sheet column heading being loaded to Power BI Desktop. And that can be reproduced by saving an excel file somwhere with the following on a new sheet  (using Alt+Enter in Excel to produce the line feed as in "Data Alt+Enter With Line Feed"):

AB
1Data for validation

Data

With Line Feed

This does not happen in the Report when published to the Power BI service, only desktop.

Note I previously posted this here, but it was not followed up, so I'm reposting with a more correct title and up to date description.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020), I'm not able to reproduce the issue whether the Excel is stored in SharePoint online or local drive. Please run the same desktop version as ours then test again. 

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

@v-qiuyu-msft 

I'm running version Version: 2.79.5768.1082 64-bit (March 2020), and on my last refresh (of the model that highlighted the problem in the first place), I receive this error (same error as last time, but a different column with a line-feed): 

"The 'Decision Type(e.g. Design, Scope, Resource)' column does not exist in the rowset."

I see that you have demonstrated this while in Transform Data (Query Editor), I too have no problem whatsoever when designing and transforming the data. The problem arises when the data is loaded into Power BI for building visuals. Did you go this far?