Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Live and Direct Query affecting view of Reports

Issue:

I created a shared dataset (built in a .pbix and uploaded to PBI workspace).

When I published a report connected to this dataset, colleagues with sharing links were not able to see the loaded visuals.

ScottieLobster_0-1664195396736.png

Solution:

Untick Preview Feature and reset everything to using the Live Query for the report.

Those with sharing links were then able to see the visuals being loaded.

ScottieLobster_1-1664195396741.png

Bigger/Wider Issue:

The blanket option of using DirectQuery or Live Query may need to changed to a per report option.

Without dataflows, you want to Live connect to the shared dataset. Not Direct Query right down to the datasource.

With a dataflow, its fine to Direct Query because the users have access to the dataflow data

Context:

The Preview Feature of using DirectQuery was selected.

I did not use a Data Flow for this project so consumers of the report were accessing the report.

Live Query - allows connection to only one dataset.

(Live Query is where it live connects to just One data set only and then when you publish your report over the data set it uses that initial shared dataset and doesn't create a new data set because the DAX, model etc is all set up in that specific data set.)

DirectQuery - allows connection to more than one dataset.

(Direct query is a good one for Real time analysis from a transactional database. But Much of DAX isn’t available over Direct Query straight over a database. so the reports are much simpler. And more complex to set up at the database end.)

When those with sharing links were trying access the report via an app, they were trying to access the database directly. As these colleagues didn't have access to the dataset, they couldn't see anything.

Hi @ScottieLobster ,

We did get similar feedback from other users, but need to check with you on one point, does your original data source include Postgre SQL?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @ScottieLobster ,

We did get similar feedback from other users, but need to check with you on one point, does your original data source include Postgre SQL?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

ScottieLobster
Frequent Visitor

Hi Caitlyn, 

I'm not sure what Postgre SQL is - I don't think it would be included in my report.