Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Line chart data label placement

I found this post from a few days ago.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Data-Labels-Miaplacement-in-LIne-Chart/m-p/409429#M187751

We have the same problem in displaying a line chart with multiple series.

2018-05-11_10-59-36.png

At the first data point, the value displayed above the line (99.2%) is the lower of the two values. This value pertains to the series displayed in Red, such that the first two values for the Red series are displayed above the line and the last one is displayed below the line. Therefore, the logic behind the label placement has little to do with the series or the value of the point. 

As Cherry points out in the response to the post above, there is no current mechanism to control the data label placement, nor can the labels be individually coloured. This is clearly a bug, due to the seemingly random placement of labels.

Given that a basic line chart comparing series may be one of the most common (and most simply understood) charts in existence, can I suggest that this bug be given priority to be fixed, as the only option is to turn the data labels off - they are simply misleading.

Steve

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Croftie,

I will consult this issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Croftie,

I got response from PG:

"We are planning some work on data labels this summer, but not ETA at this point."

Regards,

Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered