Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Latest PowerBI update not allowing to publish dataset from specific workspace to other workspaces

Latest PowerBI update not allowing to publish to other workspaces. The tenant setting which enables it is on, so that can't be it. I hope it is solved in the feb 2022 version!

Oh yes, we tried Aug 2020 version of Power BI from a colleague and there it still works...

Hi @KDIXN 

May I know what’s your roles in the original workspace and the target workspace? To publish a report, you must be Contributor, Member or Admin in the workspace so that you will have Edit permissions to allow you to do operations like publish.

Is this issue happening in all target workspaces or just some specific workspace?

What’s the type of your original workspace? Is it a My workspace, Classic workspace or New workspace?

What’s your data source of the live connected dataset? Did this dataset enable cloud RLS?

There are some Consideration and limitations on datasets across workspaces. For more details about using datasets across workspaces, please refer to the official document.

• As an app publisher you have to make sure that your audience has access to datasets outside of the workspace. Otherwise, users will encounter issues when interacting with your app: reports won’t open without dataset access, and dashboard tiles will show as locked. Also, users won’t be able to open the app if the first item in its navigation is a report without access to the dataset.
  • Building a report on top of a dataset in a different workspace requires the new workspace experience at both ends: The report needs to be in a new workspace experience and the dataset needs to be in a new workspace experience. You can only copy reports in a new workspace experience to another new workspace experience, and not to classic workspaces or to My Workspace.
  • In a classic workspace, the dataset discovery experience only shows the datasets in that workspace.
  • By design, “Publish to web” doesn’t work for a report based on a shared dataset.
  • If two people are members of a workspace that is accessing a shared dataset, it's possible that only one of them can see the related dataset in the workspace. Only people with at least Read access to the dataset can see the shared dataset.

Please check your dataset with the content above.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @KDIXN 

May I know what’s your roles in the original workspace and the target workspace? To publish a report, you must be Contributor, Member or Admin in the workspace so that you will have Edit permissions to allow you to do operations like publish.

Is this issue happening in all target workspaces or just some specific workspace?

What’s the type of your original workspace? Is it a My workspace, Classic workspace or New workspace?

What’s your data source of the live connected dataset? Did this dataset enable cloud RLS?

There are some Consideration and limitations on datasets across workspaces. For more details about using datasets across workspaces, please refer to the official document.

• As an app publisher you have to make sure that your audience has access to datasets outside of the workspace. Otherwise, users will encounter issues when interacting with your app: reports won’t open without dataset access, and dashboard tiles will show as locked. Also, users won’t be able to open the app if the first item in its navigation is a report without access to the dataset.
  • Building a report on top of a dataset in a different workspace requires the new workspace experience at both ends: The report needs to be in a new workspace experience and the dataset needs to be in a new workspace experience. You can only copy reports in a new workspace experience to another new workspace experience, and not to classic workspaces or to My Workspace.
  • In a classic workspace, the dataset discovery experience only shows the datasets in that workspace.
  • By design, “Publish to web” doesn’t work for a report based on a shared dataset.
  • If two people are members of a workspace that is accessing a shared dataset, it's possible that only one of them can see the related dataset in the workspace. Only people with at least Read access to the dataset can see the shared dataset.

Please check your dataset with the content above.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

KDIXN
Advocate I

Thanks, will come back at your remarks asap

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KDIXN, hi @v-cazheng-msft 

Please be so kind and see my answers below:

"May I know what’s your roles in the original workspace and the target workspace? To publish a report, you must be Contributor, Member or Admin in the workspace so that you will have Edit permissions to allow you to do operations like publish."

[Answer] - In all workspacess the users are admin/Members. We can puplish reports to all of them as long as the dataset is not a shared dataset. When is a shared dataset, the issue is that we can only publish the report to the workspace where that shared dataset exists. This was not the case for Power BI desktop August 2021 release.

"Is this issue happening in all target workspaces or just some specific workspace?"

[Answer] - is the same issue for all types of shared datasets and their workspaces.

"What’s the type of your original workspace? Is it a My workspace, Classic workspace or New workspace?"

[Answer] - New workspace

"What’s your data source of the live connected dataset? Did this dataset enable cloud RLS?"

[Answer] -  We were investigating first for a Live connection dataset to an on-premise Tabular model, but is the same issue with models created in Power BI cloud. Yes, we use RLS in the On-Premise tabular model. Again, if we use Power BI desktop August 2021 release we are able to publish the report based on the shared dataset to other workspaces.

"There are some Consideration and limitations on datasets across workspaces. For more details about using datasets across workspaces, please refer to the official document.

• As an app publisher you have to make sure that your audience has access to datasets outside of the workspace. Otherwise, users will encounter issues when interacting with your app: reports won’t open without dataset access, and dashboard tiles will show as locked. Also, users won’t be able to open the app if the first item in its navigation is a report without access to the dataset."

[Answer] - The workspace is not an App, but the users have appropiate access to the workspace.

• "Building a report on top of a dataset in a different workspace requires the new workspace experience at both ends: The report needs to be in a new workspace experience and the dataset needs to be in a new workspace experience. You can only copy reports in a new workspace experience to another new workspace experience, and not to classic workspaces or to My Workspace."

[Answer] - This is already the case.

• "In a classic workspace, the dataset discovery experience only shows the datasets in that workspace."

[Answer] - No issue there. We see all shared datasets where we have access.

• "By design, “Publish to web” doesn’t work for a report based on a shared dataset."

[Answer] - Not sure what this means, as we can publish the report using Power BI destop, but only to the workspace where the shared dataset is created. Maybe I am missing something.

• "If two people are members of a workspace that is accessing a shared dataset, it's possible that only one of them can see the related dataset in the workspace. Only people with at least Read access to the dataset can see the shared dataset."

[Answer] - All users have at least read access to the shared dataset (including build permission).

I hope my answers are helping us to identify the issue.

Thank you,

Raluca

KDIXN
Advocate I

@v-cazheng-msft pls see extensive comments of my colleague. I hope this helps your queries and quest.

Swapnil7711

Hi There, I have used Power BI Desktop in past, and I tried opening it after a long time but I could not. I am getting an error. I tried to uninstall and installing again but the issue persists 

Issue details:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2022-02-12T21:28:53.8811985Z

Local Time:
2022-02-12T16:28:53.8811985-05:00

Session ID:
f6c6f0f3-4cc1-4e57-b189-94d87e8f786d

Release:
December 2021

Product Version:
2.100.1401.0 (21.12) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2ProcessCrashException
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2BrowserWrapper.OnWebViewProcessFailed(Object sender, CoreWebView2ProcessFailedEventArgs args)

Browser Name:
DataExploreView

Browser Source:
https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/pbi/Web/Views/HtmlControls/DataExploreView/DataExplore.htm

Browser ExitCode:

Browser Crash Reason:
Unexpected

Browser Crash Kind:
RenderProcessExited

Browser Process Description:

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.100.1401.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2BrowserWrapper","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2ProcessCrashException - WebView2 Process Failed: DataExploreView, Source:https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/pbi/Web/Views/HtmlControls/DataExploreView/DataExplore.htm ExitCode:-1073740760 Reason:Unexpected ProcessFailedKind:RenderProcessExited ProcessDescription:","MethodDef":"OnWebViewProcessFailed","ErrorOffset":"125"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
53.4 GB

Private Memory:
216 MB

Peak Working Set:
314 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
8360fbd8-2334-4829-8951-d4b70797d575

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_enableWebView2
PBI_sparklines

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PQ_WebView2Connector
PBI_useModernFormatPane
PBI_scorecardVisual

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

KDIXN
Advocate I

@v-cazheng-msft pls give update!

KDIXN
Advocate I

@v-cazheng-msft can I have some communication on this? It is currently blocking our community from publishing to the relevant audience. Thanks

KDIXN
Advocate I

repeated request for response @v-cazheng-msft