Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Keep Formatting for Text Box When Deleting Text

I often use Text Boxes as titles for my visuals. I format the size, font, color, background color, etc. In order to keep my settings, I copy/paste the text box to title another visual. But when I delete the current copied text, the text settings revert back to default. Can this be changed so a text box keeps its settings even when the text is deleted? My workaround is to delete everything but the first letter of the old title, type the new title, and then delete the first letter. Annoying, needless to say.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bourquejeff,

Did the issue happen in Power BI desktop or Power BI service? Would you please share detail steps for us to test it? It would be better if you could share a reproduce video. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Ydiss
Regular Visitor

@Vicky_Song 

This is still happening and is 100% reproducable following these steps in the current version of Power BI Desktop as at the time this messsage was typed. A video isn't required, the steps are basic:

1. Create a text box.

2. Add some text and change the font to something other than default.

3. Delete the text to add some different text.

4. As soon as you delete all of the text the font settings revert to default, losing the font settings you desired for the text box originally.

This is undesirable behaviour as it means you cannot replace the text in a text box without losing your chosen format without the needlessly faffy step as described in the orignial post. Another workarond is to change the defaults for Power BI but this shouldn't be required every time you want to add a new format (and in a typical office environment, you're working on reports others have created and cannot constantly be changing this).