Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issues with Power BI Excel add in and Power BI Services Analyse in Excel feature

Hi all,

I am having issues using the Power BI Excel add in to connect to datasets as well as the Power BI Services "Analyse in Excel" feature. I have built an excel file with multiple pivot tables and slicers which are connected to a data model in Power BI that consists of 8 tables of which the main table has about ten million records.

The questions I would like to ask are below:

- Has anyone else experienced this issue?

- Am I exceeding any limitations of Excel or the OLAP query?

- Are there pros and cons to the Power BI Excel add in vs. the Power BI Services "Analyse in Excel" feature? I have used both and have not experienced better performance from either.

- Does anyone have any suggestions for a better connection method?

The below message is what Excel reads and it never completes(I have let it run for hours)

Issue2.PNG

Once I finally click "Esc" I get the below message

Issue.PNG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@cbevan

I have not experience such issue before. It seems to be related to your dataset. I also don’t see related limitation in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-analyze-in-excel/. Can you refresh the dataset properly in Power BI Service without using the "Analyze in Excel" feature?

Best Regards,

Herbert

cbevan
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

I am able to refresh my data set in Power BI Services without issue. I only have these issues in Excel where occasionally I am able to refresh my pivot tables but most of the time they give me errors or just never refresh.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@cbevan

It seems the refresh problem related to your specific dataset. I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Best Regards,

Herbert