Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue with streaming datasets and reports

Hi, 

After creating a streaming dataset with historical data enabled in PowerBI online, I'm unable to create a report from the dataset.

I have pushed data to the dataset using the provided HTTPS API, and this shows up in real-time tiles in a dashboard. However, when I choose create Report from the Dataset, no fields are shown on the right hand side.

Can anyone help, It feels like a bug.

Hi @adyc ,

You mean you can't see the streaming dataset you created when you want to creare a report?

Is this your steps? or other?

vmengzhumsft_0-1664436073474.png

vmengzhumsft_1-1664436110223.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @adyc ,

You mean you can't see the streaming dataset you created when you want to creare a report?

Is this your steps? or other?

vmengzhumsft_0-1664436073474.png

vmengzhumsft_1-1664436110223.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

khalidhassan
Regular Visitor

That's probably because you have the historical analysis turned off in your streaming dataset. In order to use the dataset in you report you need to turn on the historical analysis. if it's off, it can only be used in dashboards.

please check if this solves your issue 

amoosbr

I have the same issue. And I'm sure, I turned on "historical analysis".
Tried this with two streaming datasets, both with historical analysis enabled and data pushed to them.
Is this only available after some time or is it no longer supported for reports?

Accessing the new dataset from the dashboard works as expected.

adyc

Hi all, 

@amoosbr 

Support helped me to figure this out a while ago. 

It ended up being a Javascript error on Safari v13.  After upgrading to Safari v15 or using a recent version of Chrome, the problem went away and the historical data fields now show up when I create a report.

Regards,

A

amoosbr

Thank you @adyc . This wasn't the issue for me, but I was able to figure this out now as well.

It was an permission issue.

In the workspace we used, I had only `Contributor` rights. With this, I was able to create the streaming dataset and use the content in the dashboard, but wasn't allowed to create an report of the dataset I created myself.

I figured this out, when I was able to sucessfully use a streaming dataset in my private workspace.

I just would have guessed, I see a different kind of error in the missing permission scenario. Either not beeing able to create the streaming dataset in the first place or not able to use the data in the dashboard and report.

This mixture of permissions was unexpected.

But glad you figured out your issue and I'm also able to continue with the streaming dataset and reports.