Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue with date/datetime fields in Snowflake & Direct Query

I'm having problems using date/datetime fields when connecting to Snowflake with direct query.

Dragging any date/datetime column into a visual or using it as a filter will result in this error:
image.png

I haven't made any calculations, table relationships or anything to the dataset, the column is exactly as it is in the database.

I also tested adding an empty calculated column in Power BI Desktop and changing the type to datetime. That column will give the same error.

Here's an extract of the trace logs:

(12.4.2018 13.43.49) Message: The resource file 'msmdsrvi.rll' for locale '1035' could not be loaded. Switching to US English (1033) if available. (Source: \\?\C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace405029051\Data\msmdsrv.log, Type: 3, Category: 289, Event ID: 0xC1210019)
(4/12/2018 1:44:25 PM) Message: OLE DB or ODBC error: Type mismatch. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)). (Source: \\?\C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace405029051\Data\msmdsrv.log, Type: 3, Category: 289, Event ID: 0xC1210003)
(4/12/2018 1:44:41 PM) Message: OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. Please try a simpler expression.. (Source: \\?\C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace405029051\Data\msmdsrv.log, Type: 3, Category: 289, Event ID: 0xC1210003)

Changing the locale to US English did not help.

I haven't had any similar problems with import datasets in the same environment.

Comments
tahga
Frequent Visitor

Issue seems to be related to Snowflake ODBC driver 2.14.0. No problems experienced after rolling back to 2.13.9.

tahga
Frequent Visitor

More accurately, after testing some of the older versions, at least 2.13.13 still works and 2.13.17 no longer works.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @tahga,

Please check below points to see if the issue is related to Snowflake ODBC driver: 

1. Please update the Power BI desktop version to the latest version then try again with the Snowflake ODBC driver 2.14.0. 

2. Please try to test with date/datetime fields in Import mode instead of DirectQuery mode. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info