Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue with Relationships in a Power BI Dataset

Hi Community, 

I am currently experiencing an issue what I think is concering the Relationships in a Power BI Dataset.

Let me describe the issue:

• I have created a Power BI Data model in file X.
  • I have uploaded the .pbix file to Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com)
  • I create several Power BI Reports based on the uploaded Power BI Dataset.

When I then open a report for the first time, a relationship between a fact and a dimension is showing up, just like I expect it to show up. However, when I open the report for the second time, and any time after that, this relationship doesn't seem to establish. 

When I create the same report, in the same file as the Data Model, the relationship is always showing up. 

I will demonstrate the ssue through the following screenshots:

• I Upload the Data Model to app.powerbi.com:

DataMarko_1-1657623803955.png

• I open my report file and see "AMS", "BG - Dispatch" etc, in my matrix:

DataMarko_0-1657636444474.png

• Now, when I open the report some time later, and noting in the Dataset / Datamodel has changes, I see the following:

DataMarko_1-1657636537251.png

I don't see "AMS" "Disparch - BG" etc anymore, and I see some differences in the total 'Changes'. However, like I said, nothing in the Datasource has changed. It has also not been refreshed.

I there someone who has experienced the same issue and can point me in the direction of the solution? Is it a known problem that a Power BI Datamodel and the derived Power BI Dataset are not always aligned? 

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Best regards,

Marko 

Seems like the data of the report in Power BI Service is not the same as its in Power BI Desktop.

Which data source of this report you have used, whether there are complex relationships and calcualtions in the report?

To check about this issue, you can try to create a new report with the same data source, using the small data size and create a single relationship in the report, publish this test report to the same workspace in Power BI Service and refresh this report to check whether it shows the same result in Power BI Desktop.

If it still has the same issue, you can share more details about it or a simple sample file without any sentive information.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Seems like the data of the report in Power BI Service is not the same as its in Power BI Desktop.

Which data source of this report you have used, whether there are complex relationships and calcualtions in the report?

To check about this issue, you can try to create a new report with the same data source, using the small data size and create a single relationship in the report, publish this test report to the same workspace in Power BI Service and refresh this report to check whether it shows the same result in Power BI Desktop.

If it still has the same issue, you can share more details about it or a simple sample file without any sentive information.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thank you for your message. 

I will try to clarify the issue and answer your questions.

So, I have created this data model in Power BI Desktop. It's called TopDeskModel4, see below:

DataMarko_0-1658216063085.png

I created a matrix to show the issue. You see an overview of closed tickets/changes per team, per month.

Now if I open the same report, but in the Power BI Service:

DataMarko_1-1658216485506.png

This is the exact same report. Only published and opened via Power BI Service. 

Now to give answer to whether there are complex relationships. No. There's an underlying star-schema with two Fact tables and several shared Dimensions. Also, there aren't any complex calculations. The calculations that I have in the model are mostly counting rows and computing relative distributions. 

Fact table 1 has approx. 50k records, and Fact table 2 has approx. 11k records. 

I don't have any clue what might be causing this. I've tried several times to re-upload the TopDeskModel4 file as well as creating new Desktop files based on the TopDeskModel4 Dataset and the problem keeps surfacing. 

What to do best now?

Regards,

Marko

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something funny that I just noticed..

When I upload the Desktop file for the first time to Power BI Service, everything seems to be working properly. But after some time, when I refresh, the relationships defined in my model don't seem to work properly. 

DataMarko_0-1658218372018.png

Here you can see, that only for 'Tickets' the relationship doesn't seem to be working. 

Then again some time later, none of the relations appear correctly:

DataMarko_1-1658218485921.png