Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue with Dashboard sharing through app.powerbi.com

Hello,

I have created a Workspace called "Power BI - Production" where I publish dashboards I create from Power BI Desktop. This workspace has only three members and I am an Admin not only for this workspace but for Power BI in general for my company.

I created 3 dashboard named D1,D2,D3 by pinning reports. I then clicked on share option on D1 and added emailids of User 1, User 2 and User 3 to be shared. Below things happened:

1. All got access on D1

2. When I clcked on share option of D2, and went to "Access", I could see all the Users here itself.

I am not sure, why sharing one dashboard adds the same list of users to another dashbaord's sharing list. All the dashboards are under the same workspace and none of the users are the member of this workspace.

Please help as wrong dashboards are being shared with different people. Is there something to do with Active Directory? I am using SQL Server as my datasource.

Thanks,

Swapnil 

Comments
swapnilsd08
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have created a group workspace named BI Prod and there are only 2 additionl members in it (2 Admins, 1 Member).

I published dashboard to this workspace from Power BI Desktop, then I pinned the live pages from Reports to create a Test_1 Dashboard. I repeated the same and created Test_2 Dashboard.

I shared Test_1 dashboard through "Share" option to 2 users. Now, when I click "Share" for Test_2 dashboard and then click on "Access", I see the same 2 users that I shared Test_1 dashboard with. I HAVEN'T shared Test_2 dashbaord with anyone yet, then why do I see these names?

Is it something like if I have multiple dashboards under same workspace and if I share one dashboard with a list of people then automatically other dashboards also incorprate the same list?

This is very frustrating to deal with. Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks,

Swapnil

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@swapnilsd08

I think it should be same as the issue mentioned in this thread. It only happens when you do NOT click the Close button to exit out of the Share panel. It is most likely an UI issue.

It has already been reported to Power BI team internally and tracked by them.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

swapnilsd08
Frequent Visitor

Hello Herbert,

When I click on Share dashboard, add email addresses under 'Share' and click Share button, the panel automatically closes. What you are referring to "do NOT click the Close button to exit out of the Share panel" comes under 'Access' in the Share dashboard panel.

Also, if I create a Content Pack and share it, then it does not allow the end user to Subscribe to a dashboard as this functionality is not yet there.

So, I am still not sure what needs to be done as a best practice to share a dashboard. Do I need to create separate workspaces for each dashboard to be shared?

Please help at your earliest.

Thanks,

Swapnil

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@swapnilsd08

After click Share button and the panel automatically closes, could you please try to go to Access panel of this dashboard and click the Close button to exist? In such scenario, can you still repro your original issue when share another dashboard?

Best Regards,
Herbert