Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue with Conditional Formatting in Matrix on Power BI Cloud

I just attempted to upload a Power BI Report, which contains a matrix visualization with conditional formatting, to the Power BI Cloud.  The report errors on the matrix visualizations.  Once I turned the Background to Off, under Conditional Formatting, on the matrix visualization, the report functioned properly.  It seems there is a bug with the Conditional Formatting in a Matrix when uploaded to the Power BI Cloud

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@tdjackson,

I am unable to reproduce this issue using my PBIX file. Please verify the following things.

1. What version of Power BI Desktop do you use?
2. Do you turn on background of Matrix visual or the report page?
3. Which type of conditional formatting do you set in the Matrix visual? Do you enable color by rule or not?
Capture.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

We will appreciate that if you can share the problem PBIX file. You can share the PBIX file via private message.

Regards,
Lydia

tdjackson

Thanks for following up. 

I used the March 2018 Report Server version of Power BI Desktop to create the report.  I turned on the Background on the Matrix Visualization and used the Advanced Controls to change the colour. Colour by Rule is not enabled.   

The conditional formatting and report work fine in both Power BI Desktop and when I upload it to the Power BI Report Server Portal.  However, when I upload the same report to the Power BI Cloud, matrix visualizations fail.  The solution was to turn off the Background under Conditional Formatting.    

Four attachments:  1)  A screen print of the Conditional Formatting property in Power BI Desktop  2)  A screen print of the 'Advanced Controls' under the Conditional Formatting property in Power BI Desktop  3)  A screen print of the error in the cloud when the report is uploaded.  4)  A screen print with more info on the error

Cloud - Error on Matrix Visual - See Details.jpgCloud - Error on Matrix Visual.jpgPower BI Desktop - Conditional Formatting - Advanced Controls.jpgPower BI Desktop - Conditional Formatting.jpg

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@tdjackson,

I am unable to reproduce this issue using Power BI Desktop report server. Do you get same issue when using Power BI Desktop June release to open the PBIX file and publishing it to Power BI Service?

Regards,

Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

rscully
Frequent Visitor

Hello- I have the same issue and was wondering if you ever got a resolution?

tdjackson

No, unfortunately I didn't.  I didn't try any newer versions though.  We are using the Power BI Desktop version that is optimized for March 2018 Report Server.

rscully
Frequent Visitor

That's unfortunate.  I actually opened a case about a week ago with Microsoft but they have not gotten back to me with any kind of resolution.  I'm using the October 2018 desktop and the PowerBI service.  Frustrating.

rscully
Frequent Visitor

We have a fix.  Per the Microsoft team, they requested that we upgrade our data gateway to the latest version and try it again and now conditional formatting works!  Hopefully upgrading either your report server and/or data gateway can resolve the issue for you as well.