Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue updating large data set from Smartsheet

I am trying to pull a report from Smartsheet onto Power BI that has 20,000+ rows and 34 columns.

If I lower the amount of rows I am pulling into Power BI, the data refresh works without any problems. I've also tried isolating the issue to see if it was a particular row causing a problem. The error message I receive only shows up if there are over 10,000 rows.

The error message I see is "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] Web.Contents failed to get the contents from https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/reports/6244860874254212?pageSize=500&page=23' (429):Too Many Requests."

Now one interesting thing that changes is the page that error happens on (sometimes its page=23, sometimes its page=15).

I am using the most recent update of Power BI.

I have tried reconnecting my Smartsheet account on the data settings page. I've also tried redirecting the data to the correct report on Smartsheet.

Nothing has seemed to work besides lowering hte number of rows that I process.

Is there a solution that doesn't require me pulling from multiple reports on Smartsheet and appending them together?

Comments
otravers
Community Champion

I'm seeing this too with one of my clients. For us the failure happens on page 11 (500 records per page) so in our case it fails at precisely 5,000 records.

Anonymous
Not applicable

experiencing this issue as well were either of you able to find a solution or workaround? @otravers @MillerBHC 

otravers
Community Champion

@Anonymous Smartsheet refreshes have been hellish for us in past weeks, we've been partitioning our dataflows to reduce calls but still keep getting errors 400 and 500.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, FYI I have followed up with Smartsheet and they suggested utilizing chrome instead of edge and that has seemed to work thus far

otravers
Community Champion

@Anonymous Thanks, but I'm confused how which browser you use affects the scheduled communication flow between the Power BI service and the Smartsheet API. Can you explain what steps exactly you're supposed to take in Chrome to alleviate the problem?