Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue: Unable to connect mysql database in power bi pro, infinite loading, no error message

We want to connect a MySQL Database in Power BI Pro to refresh the data automaticly.
When we connect the MySQL Database in Power BI Desktop as data source, everything works fine.

After we import the pbix file (including datasets, reports etc.) into PowerBi Pro, the dataset and reports will be displayed correctly but its not possible to refresh the data from the data source.
In the dataset settings, we can edit the mysql credentials. The host and database values are already filled by default.
We just need authenticate, so add user and password. After we click "connect" it will load indefinitely. We do not get a connection error. We tried it with different databases on different servers, with and without ssl required, we are sure that our firewall is not blocking the connection. Also, we tried to connect a test mysql database with just a simple table of 10 rows and few columns with no foreign keys etc. and a simple table report in power bi, but we got the same endless loading result when connecting MySQL database in Power Bi Pro.

When I configure a on-premises data gateway with the MySQL connection, it works.

But it's not an optimal way for us because the connection is tied to my local machine and others in the team who have access to the reports can't refresh the data and automatic refresh wouldn't work either.

Hi @Sascha711 ,

Because that's how Power BI is designed.
When your data source is a local data source, if you want to refresh the data in the data source, you need to configure the gateway for it. This is for the protection of your data security.
You can give users direct access to the report and they can directly view your refreshed data, and you can also configure scheduled refreshes for the report.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Sascha711 ,

Because that's how Power BI is designed.
When your data source is a local data source, if you want to refresh the data in the data source, you need to configure the gateway for it. This is for the protection of your data security.
You can give users direct access to the report and they can directly view your refreshed data, and you can also configure scheduled refreshes for the report.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Sascha711

Thank you for your fast response @v-xiaoyan-msft 

My Data source (the MySQL database) is not a local data source. The database resides on an accessible server.

And I want invited users who have direct access to be able to refresh the data themselves without my local machine having to be reachable.

Is it not possible to configure the database connection in Power BI Pro in the dataset in "Settings" > "Data source credentials"? I figured in this case it would have a direct connection to the database instead of handling it in a gateway that depends on my local machine's uptime.

OussamaBK

Hi. I am having the same issue without any success 

@Sascha711 did you find a solution or workaround?