Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue - The string did not match the expected pattern

Hello,

I am new user of Power BI Desktop. I was looking into learning docs where in this mentioned link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-getting-started, one section was talking about the data load from web source. The web dataset link was also given in the website. I tried providing the same web link in my local power bi desktop where it is showing the "The string did not match expected pattern" error message. The web link is https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/ 

For your information, i am using Power BI Desktop (x64) version. Still i am facing this issue

Please help to resolve it

Regards

Jayashree

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

It seems that the request url is not valid. 

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the BankRate URL does work, and it pulls up the web page if you click it. The "Bad Request" error you're referring is happening because there's an extra character at the end of the link which was provided by the user who reported the issue. If you click the below link, the page comes up. However, it still issues the same "The string did not match the expected pattern" error in PowerBI.

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additional details below from clicking on "Copy details":

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-06-05T15:59:13.5522964Z

Local Time:
2020-06-05T11:59:13.5522964-04:00

Session ID:
6312ce7d-22d1-457c-9dd3-c2747ee3d92b

Release:
May 2020

Product Version:
2.81.5831.821 (20.05) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at AngleSharp.Extensions.QueryExtensions.Validate(ISelector selector)
at AngleSharp.Extensions.QueryExtensions.QuerySelectorAll(INodeList elements, String selectors)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.Semantics.DomNode.GetDescendantsByCss(String selector)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.Learning.HtmlTableInference.InferHtmlColumnSelectors(IDomNode tableNode, List`1 rowSelectorDisjuncts, List`1 examples, StringComparer comparer, IDomNode[][]& tableNodeMatches)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.Learning.Witnesses.LearnHtmlTablePrograms(State inpState, List`1 textTableExamples, List`1& tableNodeMatches)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.Learning.Witnesses.LearnExtractTablePredictive(SynthesisEngine engine, LearningTask`1 task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.Learning.Witnesses.LearnExtractTableRule(SynthesisEngine engine, GrammarRule rule, LearningTask`1 task, CancellationToken cancel)
at lambda_method(Closure , DomainLearningLogic , SynthesisEngine , GrammarRule , LearningTask , CancellationToken )
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.Deductive.RuleLearners.RuleLearner.Instance.Learn(SynthesisEngine engine, GrammarRule rule, LearningTask task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.Deductive.RuleLearners.RuleLearner.LearnRule(SynthesisEngine engine, GrammarRule rule, LearningTask task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.DeductiveSynthesis.LearnFromRuleLearners(ILanguage language, SynthesisEngine engine, LearningTask`1 task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.DeductiveSynthesis.<LearnFromAlternatives>g__WithAlternative|17_0(ILanguage alternative, <>c__DisplayClass17_0& )
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.DeductiveSynthesis.LearnFromAlternatives(IAlternatingLanguage language, SynthesisEngine engine, LearningTask`1 task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.DeductiveSynthesis.Learn(SynthesisEngine engine, LearningTask`1 task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.Strategies.SynthesisStrategy`1.Learn(SynthesisEngine engine, LearningTask task, CancellationToken cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.SynthesisEngine.<>c__DisplayClass22_1.<Learn>b__0()
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.SynthesisEngine.InvokeStrategy[TResult](Func`1 learner)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.SynthesisEngine.Learn(LearningTask task, Nullable`1 cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Learning.SynthesisEngine.LearnSymbolTopK(Symbol symbol, Spec spec, IFeature feature, Int32 k, Nullable`1 randomK, ProgramSamplingStrategy samplingStrategy, Nullable`1 cancel, IFeatureOptions featureOptions)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Extraction.Web.TextTableProgramLearner.LearnTopKUnchecked[TFeatureValue](IEnumerable`1 constraints, Feature`1 feature, Int32 k, Nullable`1 numRandomProgramsToInclude, ProgramSamplingStrategy samplingStrategy, IEnumerable`1 additionalReferences, Nullable`1 cancel, Nullable`1 guid)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Wrangling.ProgramLearner`3.LearnTopKImpl[TFeatureValue](IEnumerable`1 constraints, Feature`1 feature, Int32 k, Nullable`1 numRandomProgramsToInclude, ProgramSamplingStrategy samplingStrategy, IEnumerable`1 additionalInputs, Nullable`1 cancel)
at Microsoft.ProgramSynthesis.Wrangling.ProgramLearner`3.LearnTopK[TFeatureValue](IEnumerable`1 constraints, Feature`1 feature, Int32 k, Nullable`1 numRandomProgramsToInclude, ProgramSamplingStrategy samplingStrategy, IEnumerable`1 additionalInputs, Nullable`1 cancel)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebTableLearning.WebTableLearner.TryInitializePredictiveLearningState(String html, Nullable`1 cancellationToken, TimeSpan& learnTime)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebTableLearning.WebTableLearner.TryPredictWebTables(String html, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IList`1& tables, TimeSpan& learnTime, Boolean& cancelled)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebTableLearning.WebTableLearningService.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<StartPredictWebTables>b__0(Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.81.5831.821","ModuleName":"AngleSharp.dll","Component":"AngleSharp.Extensions.QueryExtensions","Error":"AngleSharp.Dom.DomException","MethodDef":"Validate","ErrorOffset":"18"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17763.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.9 GB

Private Memory:
912 MB

Peak Working Set:
1.04 GB

IE Version:

User ID:
9b1e0711-2261-46fd-a2f6-03adff4414b7

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\pettuti\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot165518472.zip

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Is Report V3 Models Enabled:
False

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_showMinervaRibbon
PBI_showMinervaViewNavigator
PBI_hierarchicalSlicerCreation

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_inlineExplore
PBI_realTimeRefresh
PBI_v3ModelsPreview
PBI_relativeTimeSlicer
PBI_dataSearchCuration

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. My bad, while pasting the URL link it had a extra space.

But, even if we give proper link in Power BI web data load, it shows up the error. Me and my class friends also face the same issue. When we click the link it redirects to the webpage and if we give the same link in Web data load in Power BI, it shows the error. "The string did not match the expected pattern". Attaching screenshot for you reference
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 1.24.50 PM.JPG
Regards
Jayashree.P
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I am also having the same issue. The intent of my post was to provide more information for the support representative, as it seems he thought the issue was only caused by a bad URL. However, there appears to be something else causing the problem.

@v-yuta-msft Any thoughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I just found the fix. A preview feature called "New web table interface" was enabled in the options under the "Preview features" section. As soon as I disabled it, it worked.
luisgtz2

I was having the same issue, and as suggested, I disabled "New web Table interface" and it worked for me

Thanks

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

I would suggest you create a support ticket here for further analysis.

Support Ticket.gif 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey All,

I tried the same solution of disabling the new web table reference option in Power Bi and it worked for me.

Thank you for all your support and help