Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue: NVDA with firefox not able to read any state, role, name presents on power bi embeded charts

We embeded a power bi report in our React APP and its charts name, state of legends, and role present on components not able to read by NVDA speech reader (Similar to Narrator in window).

We also discussed this issue with feature owner who implemented this on our Application and he suggested to create an issue on power bi portal.

Can anyone help us here to fix the issue with react based powerbi embeded reports?

Regards,

Vibhas

Hi @v-vibsingh 

May I know whether your issue is that you download NVDA Screen Reader and use it to read the embedded report opened in Firefox browser?

vcazhengmsft_1-1640142885244.png

If you switch to other kinds of browsers, will you get same issue? If you use it to read the report by directly viewing it in Power BI service, will you get such issue? Did you ever successfully use it to read such kinds of text before? For such kind of issue, I think you need confirm with NVDA firstly about what kind of information they can read and how they identify these information? And is it impacted by the website itself? If it does, then this issue belongs to us. Please check the content above. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @v-vibsingh 

May I know whether your issue is that you download NVDA Screen Reader and use it to read the embedded report opened in Firefox browser?

vcazhengmsft_1-1640142885244.png

If you switch to other kinds of browsers, will you get same issue? If you use it to read the report by directly viewing it in Power BI service, will you get such issue? Did you ever successfully use it to read such kinds of text before? For such kind of issue, I think you need confirm with NVDA firstly about what kind of information they can read and how they identify these information? And is it impacted by the website itself? If it does, then this issue belongs to us. Please check the content above. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

v-vibsingh
Employee

Hi @v-cazheng-msft,

Yes, my issue is with the downloaded NVDA Screen Reader and use it to read the embedded report opened in Firefox browser.

I verified other browser and speech reader combination i.e. Chrome with JAWS, Edge with Windows Narrator and Firefox with NVDA. There were issue with charts legends, X-Axis selectable date, charts diagram nodes.

Same issue is not reproable while reading the report by directly viewing it in Power BI service.

I am not sure before the same issue is reproable or not, but now legends states and diagram state are working fine now.

NDVA works on aria attributes and read according to it.

As I can verify that, on the DOM of the embeded report there is no related aria attributes presents like aria-selected for state changes like select or deselect an element (Charts element <text>).

vvibsingh_0-1640343784538.png

Expectation: 

When we tab on these components and hit enter to change the state which change the data into the charts it sholud read like "11/26/2021 selected" or "11/26/2021 not selected".

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @v-vibsingh 

Thanks for your reply. I understand. It seems like these data are not supported to be read by screen reader in Embedded report. For more details, please refer to Screen reader.

vcazhengmsft_0-1640752254514.png

You may consider submit this idea in Power BI Ideas. Or if you are a Pro user, you may consider opening a support ticket and then a support engineer will be assigned to you. He/She will help on this issue and confirm with our product team whether these data can be read or this issue is a bug needs to be fixed.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding!

Best Regards,