Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue - Lineage does not show backward dependencies

Previously, when I filtered by a dataset name in the workspace, I could see the precedents/backward dependencies of that dataset (data sources on which the dataset is dependent upon) as well as the dependent/forward dependencies (whatever is dependent upon the dataset) in a nice holistic and comprehensive lineage view.

Starting today, I can only see the forward dependencies and not the backward dependecies, e.g. following

smpa01_0-1627071442462.png

In reality, this dataset is connected to 19 different datasources which I could see previously, but not now.

Example data sources used here

A. MS SQL server->dataflow

B. sharepoint excel

C. Web data

D. SSAS tables

E. Azure  SQL Server -> dataflow

F. Power Platform Dataflow

I could see all these previously in a single view and it was super helpful.

Can you please look into it.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@smpa01 

That seems to work fine for me. Try to republish the report and take a look at Considerations and limitations.

smpa01
Super User

@v-chuncz-msft  Thanks for looking into it. Sorry I disagree with you. Unfortunately, even after republishing I don't see what I need to see. Previously, not only for dataset but also for dataflows I could see the backward dependecies for each DF which I don't see anymore too.

SGriga
Advocate I

I have never experienced this issue before but now I also do not see any links from newly connected dataflows to datasets, even when they are published in the same workspace. I tried connecting dataflows to existing datasets (that show lineage to previously connected dataflows) and the lineage to the new sources is not displayed. I also published a brand-new dataset connected to a couple of dataflows and the issue is the same: I only see a lineage between the dataset and the report downstream but nothing upstream (no lineage to related dataflows).

I did use "Get Data UI" as recommended in Data lineage - Power BI | Microsoft Learn but the problem still persists. This is a major issue as we use multiple dataflows connected to datasets and need to understand the lineage.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

SGriga
Advocate I

Further to my comment above. It looks like it was a transient issue. I can see data lineage without any issues today.  If a dataset is using dataflows located in a different workspace, one can see the lineage from the dataset side only, which is expected.